Author Topic: Tubus or other steel pannier rack (29er)  (Read 4918 times)

tobypc

Tubus or other steel pannier rack (29er)
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:51:54 pm »
Hi,

Looking for rear rack for touring on a 29er.

Just message on here or email in profile.

Pavel

Re: Tubus or other steel pannier rack (29er)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:03 pm »
Not sure that I know exactly what dimensions a 29 rack needs but I have Tacktime Tourit that has too much clearance for my Raven, is listed for 26" as well as 28" wheels, and would be open to parting with it.

https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-carriers/racktime-product/tourit/

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:45 am »
Not sure that I know exactly what dimensions a 29 rack needs but I have Tacktime Tourit that has too much clearance for my Raven, is listed for 26" as well as 28" wheels, and would be open to parting with it.

https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-carriers/racktime-product/tourit/

I assume you meant RackTime instead of Tacktime.

I am pretty happy with my Racktime AddIt rack even though it is Aluminum, not steel.  No, I am not parting with a rack, I am just saying I like the racks this company makes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:05:50 am by mickeg »

tobypc

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:49 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the Racktime rack does look good and would have enough clearance (about 12mm) but looking for a steel one as they are usually rated to a higher level (40kg as opposed to 25kg) and also steel should be more forgiving vibration wise. I'm cycling across Tajikistan this summer carrying all my stuff, hence the want for the high weight rating.

Thanks again.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:20:39 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the Racktime rack does look good and would have enough clearance (about 12mm) but looking for a steel one as they are usually rated to a higher level (40kg as opposed to 25kg) and also steel should be more forgiving vibration wise. I'm cycling across Tajikistan this summer carrying all my stuff, hence the want for the high weight rating.

Thanks again.

I do not have one to sell but I have been very happy with my Tubus Logo EVO.  So, if you are looking for suggestions for a non-Thorn rack, that is my favorite steel rack.  Rated at 40 kg.  I like the way it mounts the panniers a bit lower than a typical rack.  Instead of using the inserts on my Ortliebs, I used PVC tubing on the rack to reduce chaffing.

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 04:25:21 pm »
That makes good sense tobypc.  I have a stainless steel Tubus which I bought for the fact that it is steel, even though I only dream of places like where you are going, where steel is needed.  It just feels good to invest in the best.

As far as "best" ... I recommend the Thorn rear rack, which I have as well.  It really is in an altogether different strength bracket compared to Tubus, imho.  I got the Tubus after the Thorn and use it instead, but not at all because I think it is as strong. Rather it is because the way I like to pack and i like having the Tubus Cosmo's lower strut to hang my panniers from.  But if I were trully in need of ruggedness, I'd switch back to my Thorn rack - instantly.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:11:41 am »
I have Tubus Cosmo stainless-steel racks on some of the family bikes and Thorn racks on my two Thorn Raven Tour bikes. And still a few racks made from solid steel rod (Karrimor from the 1970's, old French chromed steel racks that may be even older). Some of my old French racks eventually broke at the mounting points due to swaying with (excessive) shopping loads.

Tubus Cosmo were available locally, stainless steel doesn't show scratches, so I put them on my old utility bike and on one of the visitor bikes. These two bikes get a bit knocked about. I also put a Cosmo on my wife's bike, because it looks prettier than the Thorn rack and because her bike is more lightly loaded than my tourers.

Thorn rear racks are rated for 60 Kg when used with 6mm mounting bolts, 40 Kg if 5 mm mounting bolts are used, but they recommend only loading to half this weight on very bad road surfaces. Thorn are not stainless steel, so need occasional repainting, but would be easier to mend by brazing (or maybe even welding) if they ever did break.

Both Tubus and Thorn are made from tubes, so are much more rigid than the solid steel racks I used previously. Although, despite the swaying, I had no problems with the Karrimor racks that I used for many thousands of kms of cycle-camping in the late 1970's/early 1980's.

Tubus and Thorn should both be strong enough to cope with expedition use, but like Pavel I would prefer Thorn over Tubus.