Author Topic: Dragonfly Bikepacking setup: transverse saddlebag + qr cargo cages  (Read 6945 times)

wood_dweller

Hi, I wanted to share with you some information about my DIY bikepacking bags ;)

At first I needed a smaller bag which would replace my pannier during one day trips. I have a rack mounted in my vintage Gazelle Randonneur Trophy all the time – in this case I see transverse saddlebag as superior over saddlebag in classical shape.

I thought about buying Carriadice bag, but they use cotton duck which is to heavy for my taste :| My cycling setup would gain weight instead of loosing it, because pannier in same size is lighter.

I decided to make my own bag of Cordura which saved 400 grams without sacrificing functionality.  Finally I also added few useful features as additional bottom strap with buckle (yes, I am using buckles wherever it's possible), which makes attaching my bag to rack very fast and makes luggage more stable. I added a handle, now there is a way to catch the bag in less than a second – no need to attach shoulder strap every time...

I also made a QR mount which works with all my saddles. It has adjustable mounting width and added some “distance” (some saddles have their rails hidden you need some kind of a spacer).

As I made my new MTB bike with dirt drop I thought about getting some cages for front fork. The problem is when you have suspension front fork /or you don't want to carry them all the time (and make our bike heavier ~400 grams forever ;((( ). For these reasons I designed my QR polycarbonate cage, which can work with suspension front forks or forks with eyelets.

HERE you can see my stuff in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bljg1glyzg

Feel free to share your thoughts about it and ask any questions.

I am planning to start a crowdfunding campaign with saddlebags in two sizes and the cargo cage and if you like my bag you'll be able to get it.

Pavel

Re: Dragonfly Bikepacking setup: transverse saddlebag + qr cargo cages
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »
I'd like more details on the QR release and how it works.  Very nice setup!

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:49 am »
I'd like more details on the QR release and how it works.  Very nice setup!

I can't comment on the quick release made by wood dweller, but I made one very similar to the Nitto one described at these two links:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/nitto-saddlebag-grip-quick-release-r50-20109?variant=23336752257
http://www.benscycle.com/p-2094-nitto-r50-quick-release-saddle-bag-supporter.aspx

Let me know if you want me to take some photos of my DIY one.  I have not yet tried mine on a trip.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:13 am »
Nice set up.  I like the QR for the bag.  It looks stronger and easier to engage than the carradice version which involves some careful lining up of the holes.

wood_dweller

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:14:38 am »
Thanks for all comments!  :)

I am going to explain how saddlebag QR mount works / is made. Main idea is similar to Nitto R50 linked by mickeg. Most important change is using blocks, which are used to clamp on rails and give about 10 mm space between main part and rails. Another thing is that steel bar is straight. I am using blocks to obtain proper angle for modern saddles.

As you can see Brooks B17 is very "steep" comparing to ordinary saddle:

I suppose Nitto R50 will stay flat only on saddles like Brooks B17. Mine is designed to work best with ordinary lightweight sport saddles without loops.

wood_dweller

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:39 pm »
UPDATE! Sorry for not post anything for a longer time. I was really busy preparing for a INDIEGOGO

presale which starts next week!

[...And with this, the effort goes from a shared DIY effort "with possibilities" for commerce to a commercial venture seeking funding. I'm in no way personally prejudiced against the poster or effort, but I need to be as consistent as possible in enforcing Forum rules, and commercial promotions are generally not allowed. To that end, I'll leave the original topic intact but remove today's post referencing the effort to go commercial in greater detail.

There should be enough contact information available through the original post or via PM to allow members interested in pursuing purchase to do so without the effort ending up as a general advertisement on the Forum.

Best regards to all,

Dan.

Danneaux, Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:57:46 pm by Danneaux »