Author Topic: The SJS Tooth Fairy  (Read 5162 times)

Pavel

The SJS Tooth Fairy
« on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:17 pm »
Faster than expected the SJS Cycles tooth fairy dropped by and left a package.  Oh it feels good - thought I suspect you all here know the feeling well.

I didn't "need" any of this - but what exactly does that have to do with it when speaking of the Male half of the species?  Exactly.  My wife raised the eyebrows a bit, but then gave up before asking "the" silly question of "why?"

I have found that I don't really get along with SaddleBags, compared to panniers.  I have two and I tend not to like them - so I bought another ... just to make sure! :)
They do say "third time's a charm" right?

Perhaps with the mega large, 23 liter  size of the Super C's will enlighten me as to why some love these so much.  The 9 liter Audax was so small that I never bothered with just it and the straps of the Lowsaddle long flap are not to my taste - too fiddly compared to plastic buckles and also smaller than I find ideal.

And since it's more economical to order several items for shipping to the states, I got a few other bit's for bicycling fulfillment.

One of the things I really like is the cottage industry vibe that seems to be a deep part of several British companies.  Both brooks and Carradice have a more "Human" feel to how they manufacture goods and how they do bussiness, compared to what I regard as a more impersonal, efficient, global scale, impersonality behind many bussinesses.  It's a small thing, perhaps, but it is at the same time I value every ounce of it.  The first thing of course I now do, whenever receiving anything from Carradice - is tear the box open and look inside at the tag.  Someone made this bag, from start to finish and then signed it by hand.  My latest was made by Sue.  I don't know who she is but I hope she is having a great day, and maybe stopping by the pub on her way home from her day's work at Carradice and having a pint. That of course helps keep alive that very important industry.  It's all inter- related in some cosmic way.

If I ever do get out to that far away island, I'd of course love to stop by SJS and Carradice both - and say thanks to all these people, who's Karma touch our lives.

Nazdraví and Cheers! Oh, it's a great feeling when the SJS tooth-fairy visits.

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: The SJS Tooth Fairy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »
I recently got a saddlebag made by Margareta. I liked it that much I got panniers as well! 8) I definitely have the male disease of spending Łx on gear for my bikes :o ::)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Pavel

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:01:58 am »
That herringbone is a really nice looking bag, Janet.  Classy.

Thorn-itis is a thing that can grow.  A Thorn should of course be well outfitted.  Some get carried away - a good thing indeed. ;)

My "Sue" bag is taking it's place next to good company.  Next to Debbie, Priscilla, Christine, Maggie, and Janet. I think the front super C bar-bag was Sue also, but I'm no longer certain.  I think I cut it off - I was young and foolish back then. :)

The new Carradry Bar bag had no name. I searched but didn't find one.  How Ortlieb like! Not nearly so nice.

Feeding the addiction, half the fun - right?

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:58 am »
My Barley is a Sue, I'll have to check the zipped role and cadet, IIRC the cadet was unsigned ???

I really like the herringbone on the RST Janet!  Does it get soggy or is heavy rain simply water off a sheep's back?

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:03 am »
Here's a great video of the Carradice factory.  Sue has a starring role!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsxKYl18UU&feature=youtu.be

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:15 am »
I have a Maggie handlebar bag and a Christine saddlebag. More bags lying around here but those are the two that are always on my bike!

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:07 am »
My zipped roll turns out to be signed by a 'Dave' :o He makes a great bag although I'm not sure about his writing!

Pavel

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »
I don't know what Dave's handwriting looks like, but I'd say that one the day built, that my Maggie had a lot of caffeine.  All part of the personal detailing.  :)

Pavel

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »
RST Scout, I just noticed the clever and useful way you've attached you water bottle to the handlebar.  I like that.  Are there any special brackets that you used to get the bottle mount attached that way?

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:10 pm »
I've only just seen your questions guys. So sorry. Its been a hell of a summer and I have not logged-on for ages.

[quote author=geocycle link=topic=12430.msg92104#msg92104 date=1496130838
I really like the herringbone on the RST Janet!  Does it get soggy or is heavy rain simply water off a sheep's back?
[/quote]
To tell the truth, I have no idea. I have not cycled much recently due to shoulder injury so it hasn't got soaking. I suspect the rain will drain off.

RST Scout, I just noticed the clever and useful way you've attached you water bottle to the handlebar.  I like that.  Are there any special brackets that you used to get the bottle mount attached that way?
Yes I bought a special attachment for fixing it to the handlebars. I'm blowed if I can remember who I bought it off tho. Probably SJS. I'll have a look and see if I can find a label or receipt or something. It is very useful in that I can fit a large water bottle in there or a bag for sweeties ::) ;D

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Dave B

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:34:59 pm »
Brought a similar attachment from Evans for a few pounds

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:31:38 pm »
Scout & Bettina's slave!