Author Topic: Burley trailer  (Read 5793 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Burley trailer
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:48 am »
Our Jack Russell terrier is 16 years old now & really slowing down. We can't leave him at home alone for too long, but it's hard to bring him along. Well, how about a trailer for the bike!

Attaching the hitch was a bit delicate. Some very snug clearances, but it looks like mostly things fit. The one definite obstacle was the Thorn rack is in the way of the pin on the Burley hitch. The pin has to slide in from the top, and the rack is just in the way. So I got a 1/4 inch bolt & a thumbscrew - actually a nut, a lock washer, and a thumbscrew - that I can insert from the bottom. A little fussy still, but I think it will work. I've only been around the parking lot with it so far - a longer ride scheduled for Sunday.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Burley trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:32:23 am »
Hmmm, looking at my photo... maybe I could just unbolt that nylon webbing that holds the Burley pin, and reattach it to the bottom of that strut. That puts it upside-down on all of our bikes, whereas right now it's just my Nomad that requires a non-standard connection. The real question will be, how well does my nut-washer-thumbscrew hold up over thirty miles of bumps?

ridgeback63

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:33:45 am »
Looks good,I might be inclined to put some medium thread locker on the wing nut just for a bit more reassurance.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:43 pm »
Jim that is so good to see, an old friend treated so well. I'm much in the same boat. My ridgeback humane society mix foundling is having hip problems now and is to old for vigorous sport. I've considered a trailer for the same purpose but doubt that I am up to the task. Claudius weighs in at 135 pounds. :)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:10:20 pm »
whew, flats in both trailer tires today! We have goathead thorns here!

I just ordered a pair of Marathon Plus tires for the trailer!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:12 pm »
I'd like to go cycle camping but I would be taking my cairn terrier, Hamish, along in his Trixie trailer which (being made in Germany) weighs a ton (and Hamish is not light either :(). Can I ask, where do you put everything you need to take? I have panniers fore and aft, a saddlebag and barbag and also a big Ortleib Rackpack on top of the trailer. I'm worried that Scout's back wheel will collapse (either that or I will) ::)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!