Author Topic: Looking for 170mm 110/74 PCD Triple Solo Alloy Crand right...  (Read 6760 times)

arielos

Helpppp

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Looking for 170mm 110/74 PCD Triple Solo Alloy Crand right...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »
Arielos,

Does it need to match the original? If not, some remarkable buys on whole cranksets can be found on eBay. All you'd need to do (perhaps) is transfer your chainrings over and you'd be set. Here, for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tourney-Chainset-48-38-28-NEW-UNUSED-/292106404015?hash=item4402e600af:g:THIAAOSwONBZC2dc

Now, if it needs to be the Thorn model...that could be a bit more problematic and expensive.

All the best,

Dan.

arielos

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 06:33:38 pm »
I have a rohloff drive train. Anything else I can put?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:02:38 pm »
I have a rohloff drive train. Anything else I can put?
Ah. Useful to know. If you transfer your original chain ring (and sleeve nuts and chainring bolts) over to the outermost 'ring position and discard the other chainrings, you should be well on your way to recovery. Fire off an email to SJS Cycles to check to be sure the offset is similar enough to achieve the same chainline.

NOTE: I now realize the eBay model I linked to was not a 110/74 BCD. Similarly good buys can be found in that size, however. For your application (a single ring), you will only need to use the 110mm BCD.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:05:29 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »
There ya go! Nice, Rual.  :)

Best,

Dan.

arielos

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:55:41 pm »
So i just buy them and replace the right crank?
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3051/SPA-CYCLES-TD-2-Touring-Cranks
I have zero knowledge on bike maintenance. I will give my mechanic the cranks so he can handle this

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:34:25 am »
Different manufacturer and model crankarms can require different bottom bracket spindle lengths for optimum chainline.

On my Rohloff bike, I am running my chainring on the inside position of a double crank, I have a bash guard (or chain guard) on the outer position. 

I think if your chainline is off by up to 5mm or possibly a bit more, that is not a big problem.  Mine is off about 5 mm because I did not want my Q factor (width from left side pedal to right side pedal) to be too large, thus I bought a shorter spindle bottom bracket than I really should have gotten for optimum chainline.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
Hi Arielos,

I set you a PM about this earlier, but here's the core of it:

First, Dave W's offer of repairing your crank seems to me to be the best option.

Failing that, secondly, this is what I use on my Raven:  http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2003/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Cranks (Same as recommended by Rual.)

Get the double crank -- that gives you the right chainline with a Rohloff (54 mm), when mated to a 118mm square-taper bottom bracket.  You'll also need single-ring chainring bolts--I'd suggest stainless, but quality alloy is OK too. I use a stainless-steel Surly chainring, 110 BCD 5-hole pattern.

Note that the SPA cycles XD2 cranks have a spider which covers one of the 5 holes in the chainring, hence one of the five chainring bolts. That makes it a bit awkward to tighten that one bolt properly.  There's a trick to doing so, not a difficult one: wedge a fat straight-blade screwdriver between the arm of the spider and the female end of the chainring bolt -- the pressure of the 'driver holds the female of the chainring bolt in place while you tighten the male part of the bolt from the inside of the ring.

Hope that's helpful -- good luck!

John

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:57:44 pm by John Saxby »

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:03:55 pm »

Failing that, secondly, this is what I use on my Raven:  http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2003/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Cranks (Same as recommended by Rual.)

Get the double crank -- that gives you the right chainline with a Rohloff (54 mm), when mated to a 118mm square-taper bottom bracket.  You'll also need single-ring chainring bolts--I'd suggest stainless, but quality alloy is OK too. I use a stainless-steel Surly chainring, 110 BCD 5-hole pattern.

Note that the SPA cycles XD2 cranks have a spider which covers one of the 5 holes in the chainring, hence one of the five chainring bolts.

That's why my recommendation  was for the TD2 Touring cranks rather than the XD version. But both good quality, I actually have the XD cranks as the TD version wasn't available when I got mine, been using them for a good few years now.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »
In this case if he gets the crankarm re-threaded, that would likely be the best solution.

When I bought my Rohloff, it came with five spacers that were intended to convert a double crank to only needing one chainring with the existing double length chainring bolts.  But, I bought my Rohloff and built up my wheel myself so I got all the parts that came with it.  I can see where a bike shop that builds up a bike for a customer might not bother to include the parts that they do not need at that time.  I assume it is possible to buy the spacers separately if someone needs them.