Author Topic: looking for mudguard recommendations  (Read 2497 times)

lestat_12345

looking for mudguard recommendations
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:04 pm »
Hi All,

Any recommendations for clip on mudguards for my Nomad? All the ones I have looked at seem to be for 700c wheels? Will these fit the Nomad if I am only ever going to use 1.75" tyres?

I tried moving the ones across from my Sherpa but they are not the right size. SKS ones that require exact fitting ain't an option. I tried before to add them to an old bike and just messed up so badly that the mudguards were unusable afterwards. Waste of £40 that I don't want to throw down the drain again.

I may just run the Nomad without mudguards but it rains a lot in Scotland so they are useful to have.

jags

Re: looking for mudguard recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:10:03 pm »
check out Dan's Nomad  ;)

anto

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »
Lestat,

A few notes -- but not for clip-on mudguards, however. Are clip-ons what you must have?  I ask, because I used to run some on my 700c derailleur bike, and their coverage was very limited.

With that proviso --

1)  I have a Raven, currently fitted with Schwalbe Supremes, 26 x 1.6 (actual inflated: a hair less than 40 mm.)  I use 650B x 52mm Velo Orange Zeppelin fluted alloy mudguards.  With spacers to bring the clearance to 15 - 20 mm, the 650B size works very nicely indeed. 

I have also fitted a front mudflap from Dutch Bike Bits, here: https://www.dutchbikebits.com/mudguards-chainguards-fenders-coatprotectors/mud-flaps/bibia-touring-mudflap  Yesterday, I rode in a cold rain for four hours, half of it into a stiff north-westerly.  Messin' about in such (Scottish) weather isn't my usual or preferred Thing To Do, but this was a charity ride for the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario; the Bibia worked very well.

2)   I just bought a pair of Maxxis Overdrive Elite 26 x 1.75 touring tires from Chain Reaction Cycles, on clearance for CDN $ 65 each.  They are said to be 42 mm inflated; if so, they'll fit nicely with the 650B alloy mudguards now on the bike.

3)   Another option I'm going to look at is a pair of 60mm VO alloy mudguards, also available in stainless steel, here: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/fenders/26/vo-60mm-polished-fenders-26.html Those will fit the 26 x 1.75s very well, and would work for 26 x 2.00 Supremes, or for a pair of Compass 26 x 1.8 tires that I'm considering as well.

4)   Lastly, I've just seen that Planet Bike now offers a 26 x 60mm mudguard, the ALX 26 Wide, made of alloy & available in black or silver.  Here: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/ALX26Wide.html Price is around USD 65/pr, I believe--for some reason, that link does not show the price. 

Not sure how widely available Planet Bike products are in the UK--or Velo Orange, for that matter.  I know that SKS have chromoplast mudguards in the 55m size, well suited to 1.75 tires, but the VO items are longer, and hence give very good coverage.

Hope that's helpful -- good luck.

John
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:37:34 pm by John Saxby »

Bill C

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
sks shockboard for the front and an sks xtra dry rear? they do a mount for rigid forks, pop on and off in seconds and keep a lot of the muck off you
probably not what your after but very easy to fit/remove

or buy the guards at the LBS and get them to fit them