Author Topic: scratch on new Nomad frame  (Read 3153 times)

lestat_12345

scratch on new Nomad frame
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:43:35 pm »
Just received my new Nomad frame from SJS and there is a scratch on it. Also not sure if the weld, also highlighted in the pic, is any good. I know the scratch isn't a show stopper but I don't expect this on a new item. Ex-display/second hand yes but not new. Any advice?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:45:17 pm by lestat_12345 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: scratch on new Nomad frame
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:11:24 am »
Any advice?
Yep; contact SJS Cycles/Thorn as soon as possible, including this photo with your correspondence and save all packaging.

In my experience, they really do want customers to be happy and will be responsive to your inquiry.

I suggest keeping the packaging in case the scratch was caused by the carrier. If so, it may be needed if you need to make a claim with the carrier.

However, if the scratch was under the padding and not the fault of the carrier, then SJS Cycles can best advise what to do next.

As for the weld at the lower gusset...it is a little hard to see from your photo, but if it helps, the lower part of this gusset on my own Nomad is left open and appears much like yours with welds running along the sides.

I'm sure sorry you had this problem. :( In any case, welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum.  :)

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:15:51 am by Danneaux »

lestat_12345

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:29:45 am »
Hi Dan,

The box the frame came in was not damage and the scratch was under the padding.

As for the weld at the lower gusset...it is a little hard to see from your photo, but if it helps, the lower part of this gusset on my own Nomad is left open and appears much like yours with welds running along the sides.

Is this what you mean as highlighted in this photo:

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 01:34:20 am »
on my Nomad that gusset is open at the bottom just like that. 

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:22:20 am »
My Nomad is somewhat open at the back end too, although my weld is slightly more closed up than on yours.

The strength from that extra piece welded on really comes from the welds on the sides. I can be left open at the back.  Thus, the way it is welded does not detract from it structurally.

It is always hard to see what a scratch looks like compared to a photo of it so I will not express an opinion.

Agree with Dan, contact SJS before you start to build it up.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:43:03 am »
Is this what you mean as highlighted in this photo
Yes. The gusset on my black Nomad Mk2 looks the same, open at the bottom.

All the best,

Dan.

lestat_12345

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:46 am »
Thanks for the reassurances. The scratch isn't that bad so I'll just keep the frame and build the bike up over this weekend as planned. I have emailed SJS though just to see what their response will be.

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:40 am »
Good morning all.

Here is my reply... I've posted it here now so that you guys can see we take these things seriously.

Hi (redacted).

Thank you for your email and photos, I’m sorry that it appears there may be a problem.
I’ve spoken to Dave, he has spoken to the mechanics that rushed the frame through so it would catch the dispatch deadline (ordered Friday deliver Monday)
They remembered doing it.
The photo looks TERRIBLE but it can’t be as bad as it looks!
We feel that this is one of 3 things:
1)   Hairs in the top clear coat
2)   Residue of adhesive from the tape used on the original cardboard protection that comes on the frames from Taiwan, please correct me if I’m wrong but the frame arrived to you wrapped in pipe lagging with zip ties…correct?
3)   A scratch that we missed on checking.
In any event I will refund the money you spent on the frame prep but first I’d like to get to the bottom of the problem.
WRT the gusset, as other Forum members have pointed out, this is normal. In fact it’s BY DESIGN! Welding right round would potentially weaken the frame which would be ironic as the gussets are there to strengthen it!
I hope you don’t take this as cheeky, but I’m also posting this reply on our forum as you’ve already opened the discussion up to the world so to speak so I doubt you’d object.

I’m very happy to discuss this once you’ve taken a look, feel free to phone me:

(numbers redacted)

Regards

ROBIN THORN
(Director)
Thorn Cycles Ltd
t/a St John St Cycles

jags

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »
good man Robin  ;)

jags.

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »
Excellent service - and so nice to see.

I'm being fully honest, and scratch such as that would not bother me in the least, especially since it does not appear to go through to metal.  On a touring bike, much like on an off road vehicle, scratches will happen and after the first one - ahh, no problem.  It's a sign of personalization and real world living.  I hope that does not come across the wrong way - but it's how I honestly feel about my gear of this sort.

In use, I want to feel free to not baby a machine such as this.  It's kind of like a wash and wear attitude, kind of liberating really.

I hope you put up some shots of your build when you are finished.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:39:13 pm by pavel »