Author Topic: MSR Whisperlite International  (Read 6679 times)

Pavel

Re: MSR Whisperlite International
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »
I'm a huge fan of the Trangia system.  I like the peace that comes from the quiet and the fact I can buy heat without having to search far, as almost every gas station has some.  I shared a few days with two guys on the road where one had the whisperlight.  He had been on the road continually for ten months by the time I met them late fall on the Outer Banks of NC and he liked it a lot. I noticed it cooked faster than my alcohol stove setup, but there was nothing that whispered about that stove.  It's real name should be roaring dragon.  That's the one downside along with what I think is infrequently required as maintenance,  versus the completely maintenance free aspect of alcohol stoves, and so far I've not ventured to trying a new stove type.

Lately I've had the beginnings of a crazy idea however. I have not thought it through much but have been thinking a bit about completely trying a different way to eat while traveling. This would be the everything but the rolling fridge approach and, well lets not call it "ultra-heavy" because they don't call it "ultra-fragile" but "ultra-light" instead, in their egotistical optimism :).  I shall be known as "ultra-Gourmand" cycling style, and then I think I should need to carry both a wood stove and something like the whisperlight. Something that puts out BTU's. That should work well with the iron wok and stir fry etc.  It's still in the early stages.