Author Topic: Pitlock Rear Wheel Protection for Rohloff Gear Hubs M10x1  (Read 4355 times)

John L

Pitlock Rear Wheel Protection for Rohloff Gear Hubs M10x1
« on: April 30, 2017, 02:43:28 pm »
In my opinion the Pitlock Rear Wheel Protection for Rohloff Hubs is not fit for use. The M10 Nord Lock Washers (levelled washers) supplied with the system are to small and will damage the frame when torqued to 35Nm as per Rohloff specification. Your views are appreciated.

Photo showing breakdown of Pitlock parts in order:

Photo showing Nord Lock Washer:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:02:09 pm by John L »

mickeg

Re: Pitlock Rear Wheel Protection for Rohloff Gear Hubs M10x1
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »
Are those for a nutted (solid) axle? 

I use the skewer version of Rohloff, which I think most do on this forum.  For touring I use a Halo XL skewer that requires a regular 5mm allen wrench.  I do not want an odd tool that I might lose, thus use the 5mm wrench type of skewer instead of something like a Pitlock.

John L

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
These are for the Threaded Spindle Version of the Rohloff

martinf

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:53:39 pm »
Are those for a nutted (solid) axle? 

I use the skewer version of Rohloff, which I think most do on this forum.  For touring I use a Halo XL skewer that requires a regular 5mm allen wrench.  I do not want an odd tool that I might lose, thus use the 5mm wrench type of skewer instead of something like a Pitlock.

Same here. If I had had the nutted version of the Rohloff I wouldn't have bothered with Pitlock either. If locking one of my two Rohloff bikes in public, I lock rear wheel and frame to something using a U-lock.

If they didn't have the tools to defeat the U-lock, a thief could pinch the Rohloff by using an Allen wrench and cutting all the spokes.

I reckon if they were willing to cut spokes, they would just cut the frame as well if Pitlock was fitted.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:23 pm »
I reckon if they were willing to cut spokes, they would just cut the frame as well if Pitlock was fitted.
<nods sadly> Yes, cutting frames is Big here'bouts. The thieves simply slice through the frame with a hacksaw, take what's left, and strip and sell the parts on eBay at their leisure.

Tough neighborhood.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:40:48 pm »
In my opinion the Pitlock Rear Wheel Protection for Rohloff Hubs is not fit for use. The M10 Nord Lock Washers (levelled washers) supplied with the system are to small and will damage the frame when torqued to 35Nm as per Rohloff specification. Your views are appreciated.

These are for the Threaded Spindle Version of the Rohloff

The only reason that I have heard that the variety of Rohoff that you have is preferable is for use in frames with horizontal dropouts where a firm grip of the hub in the dropouts is needed to prevent the wheel from sliding forward in the dropouts.  Thus, I would assume that the lock washers are intended to do just that.  I would not be surprised if there was a bit of metal deformation in the dropout.

If you are using this wheel in a Thorn or other bike with vertical dropouts, I would expect that a much lower torque on the nuts would be adequate.  If I can tighten my skewer with one hand quite easily with a 5 mm allen wrench on my skewer to keep my wheel in the frame, I would expect that a similar torque level would be adequate to keep your wheel in the frame.  (Or maybe you would need to apply a bit more torque due to different thread pattern.)  If I applied as much torque to my skewer as you are applying, I would expect my skewer to break or strip the threads.

What model bike do you have?

John L

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:37:07 pm »
I have horizontal drop outs on a Surly, and yes the Threaded Spindle is recommended for these dropouts. This is because sliding of the axle can occur with the quick release axle. Maybe I should have got a Thorn...

Fortunately I haven't fitted them yet as I think they would make a mess of the steel. I am waiting for Pitlocks response to the problem.

As for being stolen, anything is better than nothing when it comes to would-be thieves. I prefer to see something that will give them a headache to take apart. So I generally would opt for two methods of securing my bike. I can't see someone with a hacksaw in the middle of the day cutting up my bike, it would just take too long.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »
I have horizontal drop outs on a Surly, and yes the Threaded Spindle is recommended for these dropouts. This is because sliding of the axle can occur with the quick release axle. Maybe I should have got a Thorn...

I had a Surly, not any more.  I won't bother to elaborate.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:52:19 am »
Yep, Thorn's vertical dropout/Rohloff torque plate/stainless steel socketed dropouts/skewer Pitlocks is a great combination.

No need to over tighten the skewer Pitlocks, and a frame lock locking the wheel hopefully convinces a potential thief to move on to an easier target!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:21:50 am by StuntPilot »