Author Topic: Winging it  (Read 5161 times)

Matt2matt2002

Winging it
« on: April 19, 2017, 09:28:17 pm »
My saddle cover had split so I decided to look through eBay for a replacement.
The searches brought up padded covers as well as plain waterproof ones however a new to me proper saddle popped up.
All-wings bike saddle.

From the eBay add:
Product introduction
The design concept of All-wing bike saddle was inspired by the unique characteristics of flying objects such as aircraft; birds and insects, resulting in its flap shape and streamline outlooks with multiple functions./span>
The wide center-hollow area allows bike riders to keep up right gestures along the trips, avoid riders to alter right / left hip areas out of in-balances. Patented 3D cradle not only designed to attach the saddles with bike body perfectly, but also provided supporting forces from lateral sides horizontally. The saddle covers were designed to be removable thus bike riders could replace it out of cleanings or functional (altering between different colors and materials).
And:

Bee Series
Bee saddle was shaped as shorter and stronger versus glider ones. The flat flaps of bee saddle ensure bike riders applying largest stretch during pedaling bike ahead.
The ischial area supported by the bee saddle could result in synchronized stressing between leg quadriceps and biceps femoris, which eased loadings of pedaling legs and increased endurances.
(Bike riders with traditional saddle only pedaling with forces generated by leg quadriceps, in that case, leg front thigh muscles got fatigues and soreness after short periods of pedaling)

Color: Red, Grey, Gold, Blue or Black

Package Includes :
1 x All-wing bike saddle

Sorry I can't post a link or pictures.
Should be easy to find with an eBay search.

Anyone any experience or views on the design?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: Winging it
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:47:16 am »
Matt - not familiar with the saddle you are talking about however have you heard of the Manta Saddle? I met Dominic on the Greek/Turkish border last summer and he said it was the best saddle he had ever used. We had lunch the next day and I had a go on his Raven Tour with the Manta saddle. Interesting and a great talking point on his tour apparently!

He has a review on his site here.

http://onebikeoneworld.com/2017/01/20/manta-saddle/

Might be worth a look if you are looking at alternative saddle designs.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »
Me an' my Brooks B17 Champion Special are together in the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" mode, but that Manta looks like an Intriguing Thing, Richard! Thanks for that link. Dominic seems completely sold on the device, and has given it an extended test.

(Not too sure about the electric blue variant, though. It's a colour I like but which wouldn't go so well with my Raven's black-and-silver.)

Looking at the Manta website, I seem now to recall having seen some other photos of the saddle a while back, somewhere -- on crazyguy, perhaps.

At £125 a pop, I'm not sure I'm about to experiment, but--who knows?  If my Brooks suddenly wears out and needs to be replaced, it's worth a look.

And a PS, after reading more of the MANTA website:  Matt, these are your people, based in Dunvegan on Skye!  (Mine too, but at a greater distance of time and space and generations.)  So, I'm thinking that maybe I should arrange my still-to-be-planned tour of England-Ireland-Scotland to include Skye, so I can test/feel/ride the Manta saddle. ("Yes, dear, I'll be away an extra week or so. Planning to visit Skye to check out a new saddle design. Will bring one for you if it seems promising.")

OR - why don't you organize a mini-kickstarter and so that you can buy the thing now and test-and-report on it?  I'll kick in 5 - 10 quid (I have lots of ideas on how other folks can spend their time and money.  ;) )

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:07:09 pm by John Saxby »

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:29:53 pm »
I'm kind of intrigued by that manta saddle.  I too tend to go by "if it isn't broke ..." but of course, taken too much to heart, it would mean that we could still all be on Penny-farthings - or worse; using derailleurs!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:33:48 pm by pavel »

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:23:09 pm »
After looking at the website, Pavel, I sent an email to MANTA, asking a couple of questions. Jon, the main guy, sent a very prompt and helpful reply.

I was curious about whether a cover was necessary to protect again rain and airborne crud;  how did the ribs work--was there a spring?  and, how much did it weigh?

His answers:

> no cover necessary, not even in the challenging [i.e., cruddy] weather of the Western Isles.  Reason is that --

> the ribs are made of a trick polymer which flexes and rebounds -- hence, no spring involved, nor ribs rotating on an axle or central spine.

> it is heavy-ish, at about 750 gms.

He said that he especially likes the natural ventilation the saddle offers :-)

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:54:48 pm »
now it's even more tempting John.  I wonder if there is an optimum rider weight, and or a weight range, in the design of it?

As much as I used to like my Brooks saddles, now at my age, and my more upright angle, I tend to find that I have to tilt the saddle up so that I don't slide forwards from the very back where I now sit, but with that upwards tilt it presses too much if I change possition further down ... as in for headwind. So I just received a cambium, and it is far better, both because of the cutout (I think) and the fact that it is just a bit wider, with a noticeable spring in the saddle.  I really like the texture as I don't tend to slide forwards now.  But still, riding it now makes me feel my age and my lack of shape.  I'll see after a few more months, when hopefully I'm more cycling fit.

I'd love to be able to test ride on of these Manta Saddles.  I bet that on a tour it would lead to more invites to use front lawns, just by the conversation starter aspect of it.  I definitely feel that you aught to purchase one, test it out, and let all of us here ... your friends ... know your thoughts.  ;)

in4

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:19 am »
Following a link to Manta saddles I found this ringing endorsement of SJS to share http://onebikeoneworld.com/2017/03/05/st-johns-street-cycles/

The OP seems to have had a few issues that were successfully resolved by the Good Burghers of Bridgwater. One of the reasons why you buy a Thorn.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:02:42 am »
I definitely feel that you aught to purchase one, test it out, and let all of us here ... your friends ... know your thoughts.

I was trying to get Matt to do something similar, Pavel (I have lots of ideas about how other people can spend their time & money...) but so far, he hasn't been biting, or even nibbling at the bait.

Let me look at my routing and time-and-distance options, and see if I can work in a visit to Skye. Who knows? -- Maybe the MANTA will generate a Skye Bum Song??  :-(

Pavel

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:19:34 am »
Skye is definitely a once in a lifetime must see destination. And the best part is that you can work in a "bit" of paddling at the same time - saving much in the way of air-fare.

Looking at Wikipedia ... it seems also to have "Canadian" style temperatures. Perfect.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:23:14 am by pavel »

StillOld

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »
Dunvegan has a lovely campsite with a very good pub with relaxed hours nearby. Just east of Dunvegan on the coast road is a lovely "wild camping" spot right on the cliff edge....and a plus point for Skye is that it is the starting point for some of the best cycling roads to explore on the mainland, including AppleCross (The Pass of the Cattle) with it's 1 in 5 hairpin bends.

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 04:26:11 pm »
We spent a bit of time in the Western Highlands and Islands about ten years ago -- loved the place, and decided I wanted to return. Have to say I found the sometimes-horizontal rain made me a wee bit cautious about returning with my bike--'twas then I realized that Nova Scotia shared more than just the surnames & pipes with Old Scotland.

Still pondering my options for future years -- TBC...

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »
Skye is definitely a once in a lifetime must see destination. And the best part is that you can work in a "bit" of paddling at the same time - saving much in the way of air-fare.

Looking at Wikipedia ... it seems also to have "Canadian" style temperatures. Perfect.
Skye is vastly over-rated, particularly for cycling, and in general is suffering from severe tourist overload  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40382450
It's good for hill walkers but cyclists would be better going to Mull, or Western Isles, etc.

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 04:31:11 pm »
cyclists would be better going to Mull

I was going to say that I was mulling over my options, Rual, but...