Author Topic: Matchin Paint  (Read 15393 times)

geocycle

Re: Matchin Paint
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 03:08:31 pm »
I have some sympathy Paul. I asked for some BR green but got a similar response. I didn't take it as rude just was surprised that a range of basic colours was not available. Incidentally I didn't get any touch up with the green RST frame but did with the much easier to match black RT.

It's not so easy getting the bike near the paint counter in Halfords or the nail varnish in Boots. I understand that paint colours have a code that would be helpful to know even if fading is likely after some time.

jags

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:16 pm »
just get a color chart from local paint shop. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »
Digging a little more on the Tonka Toy restoration forums, I see Plasti-Kote #376 Brite Yellow ...
(color shown here) http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Spray/Plasti-Kote/Anti-Rust-Enamel/Brite-Yellow/Brite-Yellow.html
..and....
Rust-oleum #7747 Sunburst Yellow
(color shown here) https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17091993065586776687?lsf=seller:8740,store:17030424266850706624&prds=oid:966070839503150127&q=Rust-oleum+%237747+Sunburst+Yellow&hl=en&ei=r3_3WPP8DIGOjwOtj6SYCg&lsft=cm_mmc%3DShopping-_-LIAs-_-D24-_-100134084&lsft=gclid:CKCln8josNMCFUKUfgodwlAK7g
...are regarded as close to near-identical matches for Tonka Yellow. Of course, samples and monitors vary so I can't say for sure, but they look pretty close...especially the Plasti-Kote Brite Yellow.

Best,

Dan.

Paul S

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »
Digging a little more on the Tonka Toy restoration forums, I see Plasti-Kote #376 Brite Yellow ...
(color shown here) http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Spray/Plasti-Kote/Anti-Rust-Enamel/Brite-Yellow/Brite-Yellow.html
..and....
Rust-oleum #7747 Sunburst Yellow
(color shown here) https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17091993065586776687?lsf=seller:8740,store:17030424266850706624&prds=oid:966070839503150127&q=Rust-oleum+%237747+Sunburst+Yellow&hl=en&ei=r3_3WPP8DIGOjwOtj6SYCg&lsft=cm_mmc%3DShopping-_-LIAs-_-D24-_-100134084&lsft=gclid:CKCln8josNMCFUKUfgodwlAK7g
...are regarded as close to near-identical matches for Tonka Yellow. Of course, samples and monitors vary so I can't say for sure, but they look pretty close...especially the Plasti-Kote Brite Yellow.

Best,

Dan.

Thanks Dan,

Link 2 would appear to be USA, relevant only because the UK version of google tells me to go away............ how ever hard I try.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

Paul S

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »

Which is basically what THORN said! ;)

Would you accept that Anto?  in return for 3.6K sterling in respect of 6 months into a guarantee?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »
Paul,

A quick check made by setting my VPN to a UK location shows the following places are *supposed* to carry Plasti-Kote spray paints. Might be worth a check:
Leekes
Decco
Taskers
ScrewFix
ToolBank Wholesale
HobbyCraft
B&M
HomeHardware
Stax
The Range Home, LEisure, and Garden
Leyland SDM
Wickes
Mica
ToolShop
Bromborough Paints
Cromwell
...and Amazon online.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Paul S

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 05:10:05 pm »
Paul,

A quick check made by setting my VPN to a UK location shows the following places are *supposed* to carry Plasti-Kote spray paints. Might be worth a check:
Leekes
Decco
Taskers
ScrewFix
ToolBank Wholesale
HobbyCraft
B&M
HomeHardware
Stax
The Range Home, LEisure, and Garden
Leyland SDM
Wickes
Mica
ToolShop
Bromborough Paints
Cromwell
...and Amazon online.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Individual Virtual private Networks :o Is this relevant?

The list you suggest would appear to include an offering of many alternatives other than the OEM Supplier. ::)

Would you have settled for zero if Thorn had said to you its your problem man, talk to the courier about forks damaged in transit?

bobs

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »
Seeing that Thorn  bikes don't come in an extensive range of colours it would not be difficult for them to stock as supply of touch up paint given the costs of frames or bikes.

Paul S

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 06:17:24 pm »
Thanks again Dan no strings attached.

Clicking on your apparent USA personal Virtual Private Network generated link & its USA specific settings, appears to have messed about big style with my ability to type in UK English across the entire world.

You will probably not like it, you may get mad but thank you for your assistance in causing more issues.

jags

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »

Would you accept that Anto?  in return for 3.6K sterling in respect of 6 months into a guarantee?
the touch up paint with the thorn bike is useless Paul,when i had the sherpa and red audax i just went to the   paint shop and got small tin mixed it worked great, but yeah your right thorn should have there frames color coded save a fella a lot of hassle. no big deal all they have to do is ask the guys that paint them for the code  ;D
anyway paul hope u get sorted expensive bike needs looking afer.

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »
I have some sympathy Paul. I asked for some BR green but got a similar response. I didn't take it as rude just was surprised that a range of basic colours was not available. Incidentally I didn't get any touch up with the green RST frame but did with the much easier to match black RT.

It's not so easy getting the bike near the paint counter in Halfords or the nail varnish in Boots. I understand that paint colours have a code that would be helpful to know even if fading is likely after some time.

The Halfords Dark Green Scratch Repair Pen is a pretty good match to the Thorn BRG.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers/halfords-chip-scratch-repair-pen-dark-green

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 08:55:26 am »
Hi, I'm really sorry but we simply don't have the formula for the paint. We use powder to paint them initially the powder is from Y.S. in Taiwan and the code is YS-PC-20152 Powder Coating Yellow http://www.y-s-paint.com.tw/index.aspx?lang=US the shade differs with every batch as the formula has had to change over the years due to environmental issues, as has the curing process, hence the only way to get a proper match is to use spectrometer like most paint suppliers will have.

We have in the past as people have mentioned tried to include some paint, but it didn't travel well and goes off within about 3 months, there are now also restrictions with posting/shipping liquid paint around the UK/World so we haven't found a solution i'm afraid.  We aren't on our own with this either I don't know of many bike brands that offer a workable solution for touching up the paint.  We will continue to look for solutions.

Dave Whittle

leftpoole

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 10:08:16 am »

the touch up paint with the thorn bike is useless Paul,when i had the sherpa and red audax i just went to the   paint shop and got small tin mixed it worked great, but yeah your right thorn should have there frames color coded save a fella a lot of hassle. no big deal all they have to do is ask the guys that paint them for the code  ;D
anyway paul hope u get sorted expensive bike needs looking afer.

anto.

As a matter of fact! I have a number of paint colours for Thorn bikes. In little glass bottles. I have had some for a number of years. All are still in 'workable' order.
Attitude to complain is not good for the Forum. Please refrain.
If you cant say something nice, say nothing at all?
John  :)

jags

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
Hah that's good coming from you  ;D ;D ;
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:52:49 am by jags »

leftpoole

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 12:27:12 pm »
Hah that's good coming from you  ;D ;D ;

;D ;D ;D