Author Topic: Vibration reducing seatpost  (Read 9498 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: Vibration reducing seatpost
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »
The Suntour SP12-NCX seatpost continues to please, especially after last summer's trans-europe tour involving a few very rough tracks in Northern Italy and Greece. Just read the manual and it advises a re-grease and apply a drop of oil to the bushings every 500km. Well, I have not touched it over 10000km and it is still works fine. Fit and forget! (OK, maybe I will give it a service before the next tour!).

There was a tiny bit of road vibration with the standard Thorn Raven supplied seat post and saddle. With the Suntour seat post there is less vibration. Maybe this could be down to the fact that the Suntour post is more solidly built and has a big spring inside. Maybe the spring absorbs some road vibrations? Just a thought.

The rear bushings of the seat post rests against the internal post with a small rubber block which would also reduce any vibration. The Brooks B17 Select saddle helps too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:59:36 pm by StuntPilot »

ridgeback63

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:34:28 pm »
...I have the suntour version
Our own Forum member Stuntpilot gives the SunTour high marks.
See: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7089.msg47547#msg47547
...and...
http://www.touronabike.com/sr-suntour-sp12-ncx-suspension-seat-post-review/

Best,

Dan.
Thanks for that,it was an interesting read and very imformative.

Bill C

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:52 pm »
Hi Janet
i'd swap your b17 for a brooks flyer before i spent money out on bouncy seatposts
i run ribmo 1.25's on the xtc classic at max pressure and the flyer absorbs all but the worst of the bumps, and softens the the pot holes very nicely (btw 2 knackered discs and stenosis)

martinf

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 06:15:59 am »
I have Brooks B17 saddles on my drop handlebar bikes, but on my bikes with a more upright riding position I prefer a sprung saddle.

On my new utility bike and the two visitor bikes I have Brooks Flyer saddles, these are basically a B17 with springs, which adds a bit of weight. B66 Champion is similar but has twin saddle rails, so cannot be used on modern seatposts without an adaptor.

They work for me, but I am fairly heavy, the fairly stiff springs in the modern saddles are probably less suited to lighter riders.

Old B66 Champion saddles from about 30-40 years ago (not sure of the date when the springs were changed) had softer springs. I have one on my old utility bike, still going strong after more than 60,000 kms. If you can find one of these it might be better than a modern saddle.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 07:29:04 am »
They work for me, but I am fairly heavy, the fairly stiff springs in the modern saddles are probably less suited to lighter riders.
This proved true for me, Martin, but the cause was not so much my weight but position. I found with my preference for a 45° back angle with hands on the brake hoods and drop handlebars, I simply didn't have enough weight on the saddle to activate the springs on my Conquest and Flyer, so the solution was a rigid saddle (a bit lighter in weight than the spring-loaded once I couldn't actuate) on a parallelogram sus-post.

Riding position is so important to the larger bike setup, speed, and riding style!

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
My guess is that I only depress the springs about 5mm on my Conquest when I am riding on the flat and level.  I weigh about 80 kg.  I agree that a lighter rider might not get much advantage from the springs, as they are quite stiff.  I find that they smooth out the vibration some on a rough road, but if I expect to hit a bump, I still lift myself off the saddles and use my knees for shock absorbers.

Bill C

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
just spotted the Rinsten spring, adjustable fore and aft and also spring loading for your weight
looks like it might be worth a look www.rinsten.com 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 09:37:53 pm »
just spotted the Rinsten spring
<nods> There's just something about it that screams "metal fatigue" to me, but a friend who was a major contributor to the campaign is convinced. Perhaps if I had not broken so many of the old chromed Brooks saddle rails....

I do love the simplicity of the design, but wonder if the saddle clamp will stay tight as the saddle rocks from side to side.

That said, I'd love to try one!

Best,

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:07 pm »
To quote a cyclist from Leeds (UK) "Eat more pies"

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:16 pm »
To quote a cyclist from Leeds (UK) "Eat more pies"

I'll try!

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:21 pm »
Actually, I've given up on susp seatposts. I have bought Scout a new adjustable handlebar stem and set it at 40 degrees and have altered the level (horizontal angle) of the saddle. I think I'm getting there. Still hanker after the Specialized CG-R setpost but have run out of money :(. Scout has got a new Carradice saddlebag, new Ortleib front panniers (black) and a Tubus Duo low-loader rack. She look the bizz now.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:44 pm »
There like kids our bikes  spoil them rotten buying for them all the time ;D

jags

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:12 pm »
Janet do you use spd shoes if so make sure your cleats are set properly.ihad mine all over the place when I got the bikefit done.the guy shoved them all the way back no more painfull feet.just a thought ;)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
I think I've got Scout sussed now, Anto. She is as comfortable as I'm going to get. I think part of the problem is the shoulder I damaged falling off my Brommie last year. It is giving me hell today after my ride yesterday. Time to see the doc methinks. :(

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 07:34:37 pm »
Or a chiropractor click you back into place.hope you get sorted .