Author Topic: Feeling my age.  (Read 2864 times)

AndyE

Feeling my age.
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:13:12 pm »
Apart from a glass back, dodge knees and reaching the grand old age of 29! and 312 months on Monday. I have just witnessed a child paying for baked goods in my local store with his cell phone! Apple pay! Maybe I am %% after all (still reluctant to actually say it out loud), I quite like the new polymer £5 note, soon to be followed by the polymer £10 Note and so on. The new 12 sided £1 coin the has been released this week. Are we all destined to use electronic currency? is the Dollar Bill running out of steam? Can you counterfeit electronic currency? Can I actualy buy more goods with a 12 sided £1 coin than a 12 sided 3d coin
( 3 old Uk pennies )? Are we to lose a price of a "Pony" £25  "Monkey" "A Drink" £500

Andy, Who is possibly becoming a grumpy old man!  8)

Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

rualexander

Re: Feeling my age.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »
I'm more or less the same age. I've thought for years that carrying around chunks of metal in our pockets to pay for stuff is ridiculous and I try to avoid using cash whenever possible. I first came across polymer notes in Australia and New Zealand 25 years ago and thought we should have them too.

AndyE

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:22:23 pm »
I try to avoid using cash whenever possible.
As an Ultra Orthodox Yorkshire man myself, I wholeheartedly agree. although I might have twisted your words .... just a bit  :-X    a soggy fiver is just as good as a dry one!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:24:04 pm by AndyE »

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 11:41:55 pm »
We have had the polymer bills here in Canada for several years now. I much prefer them over paper money. They are easier to put into your wallet, since they are more rigid than paper, and don't fold as easily when pushed. I think they also have a nicer feel, but it does take a while to get used to it. They are certainly much more durable.

We have also had a $1 coin since 1987 -- the "Loonie", named after the loon bird on the coin. Since then, a $2 coin has also been introduced (the "Toonie" -- for two dollars). It's nice not have have my wallet filled with small denomination bills, however it does get heavy in the pocket.

- DaveS

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 12:36:44 am »
That new 12 sided £1 coin is designed so that a spanner can be used to prise it out of a Yorkshire man's hand.
Or so i am lead to believe.
😋
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:29:50 am »
That new 12 sided £1 coin is designed so that a spanner can be used to prise it out of a Yorkshire man's hand.

Said the Scotsman. :)

- DaveS

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 08:22:52 am »

Said the Scotsman. :)

- DaveS

8)  ;)

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
I am 12 years older than opening poster and I feel it!
Electronic this and that and money.
It is all madness.
John

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:11 pm »
Or so i am lead to believe.
😋

Oh, thanks for giving me a good laugh!  ;D ;D ;D

Looks like a thre'penny bit tho doesn't it. (for those of us who remember such things ;))

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

martinf

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »
I can remember the old (round) silver threepenny bits that preceded the 12-sided ones. There were still a few around in my childhood.

energyman

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »
I still have a bag of silver 3d coins most of which went through various family members over the Christmas period !

jags

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 11:14:11 pm »
I had a fella stay here last year from yorkshire definitely the original jack benny.he wouldn't. Spend christmas ;D

Pavel

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:25:02 am »
I have an iPhone which I can pay with, but it is sooo last year, compared to paying with my Apple Watch.  Love it! Same with GPS directions.  the watch taps me at each turn.  I ride a Kawasaki KLR and a Thorn and find that the watch makes everything really easy. I would not leave home without it, and am grateful that my days with Garmin are over.