Author Topic: touring plans  (Read 5583 times)

jags

touring plans
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:27:54 am »
Well plans are for later on this year,  end march do an overnighter to test everything out  everything i have now is new never be out of the box so will make for an interesting overnighter if nothing else, the campsite i found is is just 25 miles from my front door happy days .
so yeah if all goes well i will be touring with a mate from the UK meet up in Rosslare and take it from there, the route is down to my buddy but we will end up in Dublin if we get the weather it will or should be epic.
better start a training plan ::)

anto

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: touring plans
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:40:57 am »
my dream of the moment - it's about 15K feet total of climbing, so I am thinking like a week of 40 mile days.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:37:16 am »
starting to sketch out days from campground to campground. Day 2 might be 21 miles climbing 3800 feet - but the grade seems quite manageable, between 4% and 8%.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18966053

ach then day 6... similar stats but lots of 13% bits:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18966165

even wilder - 12 miles and 3800 foot climb! A few crazy steep parts: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18966272

somebody else's ride report: https://intotheoutdoors.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/monster-ride-in-the-mountains/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:35:07 am by JimK »

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:32 am »
Have a great overnight tour Anto, looking forward to seeing your report and findings :)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
cheers Znook  im looking forward to it .the weather here at the moment is dire   freezing rain  blowing a gale roll on the summer. ;D ;D

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 12:58:38 pm »
looks like a tough tour Jim enjoy. ;)

StillOld

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
Last years plan for the Outer Hebrides went out the window due to an operation.....so all is on for this June. The same "old" team will be taking the train to Glasgow again and heading for Oban, then the ferry to Barra.....meander north to the top and double back to Stornoway for the ferry to Ullapool.....then left and follow the coast as far as time will allow.

Already started working the local hills and will have a shakedown trip in April. Good to be back...I think.

bobs

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:07 pm »
Sounds like a great trip, hope the weather is good for you.

Bob

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:31 pm »
Hi Stillold
I'm thinking of doing the same route.
But in April. Maybe weather risky but that's the only time I can get away from work.
( 3rd- 14th ).
I'll bus with bike from Aberdeen to Inverness and then​ cycle to Oban over 2 days before catching the ferry.
Are you planning to camp and/ or hostel/ hotel?

I have done Harris and Lewis a few years ago but not the southern peninsular.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:20:00 am by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:27 am »
...,  end march do an overnighter to test everything out  everything i have now is new never be out of the box so will make for an interesting overnighter ...

Try putting up the tent first to see how it goes up.   And how it comes down.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:36:11 am »
my dream of the moment - it's about 15K feet total of climbing, so I am thinking like a week of 40 mile days.

Salt lake has some outstanding brewpubs, so be careful that you don't get stuck there a few extra days.  Or, maybe you should be careful that you DO get stuck there a few extra days.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:43:38 am »
I got home a few weeks ago from South Florida.  The west part that looks like it is on water on the map was a ferry ride.  Not counting the ferry ride, about 380 miles (~ 610 km).

When they post a sign to tell you that you have climbed up to an elevation of 3 or 4 feet (1 to 1.3 meters) above sea level, that means you don't really need a lot of low gears.

Seven miles (11 km)  is pretty long for a bridge, longest one I have ever been on.

The Sherpa worked great.

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:52 pm »
Oh look at all that class weather you guys are spoiled rotten. :'(

StillOld

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »
Hi Stillold

Are you planning to camp and/ or hostel/ hotel?

I have done Harris and Lewis a few years ago but not the southern peninsular.

Matt

Hi Matt

Will be camping again. If something with more comfort happens on the way (I think there is a bothy somewhere but probably too busy in June) then we will take that. Bit of wild camping makes me appreciate the home comforts!