Author Topic: My new Raven  (Read 8016 times)

Paul S

Re: My new Raven
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 09:16:23 am »
That's a beauty  :) The Raven really works in the Black  8)
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

Tiberius

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 01:20:58 pm »
Fabulous bike..... :)

An observation. Did Thorn fit the mudguards? The reason that I ask is that there aren't any 'Secu Clips' on the front guard, or the little plastic caps that cover the mudguard stay ends.

OR.....Am I missing something ? !!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:24:15 pm by Tiberius »

rualexander

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »

An observation. Did Thorn fit the mudguards? The reason that I ask is that there aren't any 'Secu Clips' on the front guard, or the little plastic caps that cover the mudguard stay ends.

You're missing something.
Secu clips aren't necessary because the mudguards are fitted further up the fork legs.
Plastic end caps aren't used because the stay ends seem to be finished off flush with the securing bolts.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »
Thanks Danneaux,I thought I would get the best I could afford so I wouldn't need to add much at a later date,

Very sensible. Lovely bike. Enjoy!

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Tiberius

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:27 am »
You're missing something.
Secu clips aren't necessary because the mudguards are fitted further up the fork legs.
Plastic end caps aren't used because the stay ends seem to be finished off flush with the securing bolts.

Aaaaahhhh......Live/Learn........Thank you....... :)

ridgeback63

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 04:51:34 pm »

Hi Tiberius,yes Thorn did fit the mudguards and they've done a great job with the ends being cut exactly right,I've fitted a few sets in my time and none have been as well done as these,I use those rubber end caps to cover up my mistakes,but there is no need for them on this bike.

ridgeback63

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 04:53:08 pm »
Thanks Janet,how are you enjoying your new bike?

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:40 pm »
Hia,

Enjoying it very much. For me it's just nice to have a bike that fits (461mm) for once in my life. 8) I'm still fiddling around to get the optimum fit but getting there. Its strange, the bike is heavy to lift but when I'm on it, its as light as a feather.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:29 pm »
I found that with the sherpa janet.heavy but a joy to ride ,mind u it would ride a lot better with lighter front fork.

Paul S

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Its strange, the bike is heavy to lift but when I'm on it, its as light as a feather.
Janet

Several of the folks in India asked for a go on Thomas.

All of them came back with the same response, 'it don't feel heavy when you are riding'.

Neither the Sherpa, Raven or the Nomad are light bikes. I think the Rohloff bikes feel extra heavy when you pick Em up because the hub is at the rear.

ridgeback63

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 06:58:45 pm »
I must admit the weight doesn't worry me,I'm a plodder rather than a racer and find it reassuring,it's to easy to be a slave to Strava and forget about the pure relaxation that a steady bike ride bring's

Paul S

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
I must admit the weight doesn't worry me,I'm a plodder rather than a racer and find it reassuring,it's to easy to be a slave to Strava and forget about the pure relaxation that a steady bike ride bring's

+ 1 for that chap 8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »
Another data point...

I find my 20kg Nomad to be fine for day rides up to about 200km. Beyond that -- if the ride is to be all on pavement -- I will choose my lighter rando bikes.

The thing with the Nomad is, it does so well on poor surfaces usually at last 25% of those 200km rides are on logging roads or really rough gravel. It is just too tempting to *not* use it where it really excels.

Best,

Dan.

ridgeback63

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 07:01:32 pm »
I used to go for a ride every Thursday with a friend of mine who is always in a rush,I went on my Raven last week for the first time we did about 65 miles and I could see he wasn't the happiest chap about as I was a lbit slower than normal,and guess what,no phonecall this week so I think I've been dropped,so instead I went on a nice leisurely ride on my own,so relaxing stopped by a stream and and a coffee out of my flask and a steady average 11mph,thats going to be the norm from now on,live in the steady lane brilliant.Thanks Thorn.

jags

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »
Good news janet I know plenty of guys like that glory hunters ,I went with the group last saturday and dropped all the guys that was drilling it into me all winter.I went on the road bike mind you made for speed.