Author Topic: Audax geometry & long top tube  (Read 3287 times)

Sblight

Audax geometry & long top tube
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:16:34 am »
Hello,

I have been looking at an Audax.  I am 6"1' with an 86 cm inseam.  Looking at "which frame size" to choose in the mega brochure, this places me in the middle of the range for a size 600 Audax.

Wow - there is a 595 mm virtual top tube in this frame.  Seems like a stretch! My current road bike has a 570 mm virtual top tube, and most frame recommendations I get put me in this range.  The seat tube of the 600, on the other hand, seems well in the conventional range for someone of my size.

Is there something special in the Audax geometry that explains this unconventionally long top tube?

Any thoughts to reassure me on this would be welcome.

Thanks!

leftpoole

Re: Audax geometry & long top tube
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
Hello,
My size frame is 550 and the spec states 56.5 top tube. I usually ride with a 55 cm top tube. The 550 Thorn whilst stating 56.5 rides just like a 55 cm! I cannot work out why but I am sure some techo will explain?
Regards,
John

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
I have a size 600 Audax mk3 and a size 610s Sherpa.
The Sherpa has a virtual top tube of 575mm and is just right for me.
The Audax has a virtual top tube of 595mm and is a touch too long so I had to put a very short stem.
I would prefer it to have a 575mm VTT like the Sherpa and I'm not really sure why a 'road bike' from the same designer would have a longer one than a touring bike.
Having said that, I don't think 595mm is exceptionally long for such a bike of that size.

Sblight

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:04 am »
Dear Rualexander,

May I ask you your height? 

I could drop down to an Audax 570, which has a 575 VTT.  But I had hoped for a taller frame to keep the handlebars level with the saddle...

Stephen

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:38 am »
I'm 6ft2in, should have said that in my earlier reply.
I wouldn't have wanted a smaller frame than the 600, seatpost and handlebar height already pretty extreme.
Here's mine :

Sblight

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
Thanks for your help.  You have an inch of height on me, but I see you are at the limit in terms of a short stem.  Guess it'ts not the frame size for me.

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:25:15 pm »
I think that height only is a measurement that tends to mislead.  I am 183 centimeters but have long legs for my size but short arms.  Almost every time someone gives me a suggestion for a bike it results in extreme discomfort for me as I am much too stretched out.  It seems to rank up there with the ivory billed woodpecker for sighting bikes with a short toptube, short enough for someone with body dimensions such as I have.

My theory is that the Audax is designed with a moderately steep angle. Without checking I think it is 73 degrees. There was a bit of a flap once long ago during a magazine review of the older Audax where the journalist made a big deal about toe over lap, and I suspect that the top tube may have been left a bit long so as to minimize this possibility. Slackening the head tube angle would change the handling, slowing it down a bit (which I would have liked).  I always look at two things first when I consider a new bike.  A  very short reach versus stack, if the maker publishes that figure, and in the absence of that knowledge simply a very short top tube, and how much steerer is available on the forks.

Thorn does wonderfully on the steerer, the best there is.  But the long top tube on the audax would have me looking at the 550s a size most would consider much too small based if based solely on my height. I don't care about toe-overlap one bit. But then I'm a cyclist, not a journalist looking for a tempest in a teapot.  :)