Author Topic: A nice meetup with another Thorn owner  (Read 5563 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
A nice meetup with another Thorn owner
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:50:51 am »
Hi All!

It was my great pleasure to meet Thorn member Dave Simpson this evening. He dropped by while making his return home from a two-week family vacation and was able to fit in a good visit while lodged in town tonight.

You know it's a good "chin wag" when it all seems too short and too soon over, so hopefully he'll pencil my place in for a return visit next time he passes through. We enjoyed talking bikes, bikes, and more bikes and as Anto would say, "the craic was good"!

Thanks for the visit, Dave. Safe travels on the morrow to you and your family.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

Re: A nice meetup with another Thorn owner
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:58:08 am »
 ;)nice one Dan and Dave

anto

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:58:44 am »
Good on yer, guys. Love the foto!

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:07 pm »
That's what it's all about, great photograph of you two lads.

Regards to you both, Alfie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:40:54 pm by alfie1952 »

bobs

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:58:10 pm »
+1. :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 11:16:59 pm »
 ;D !

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:05:10 am »
Good on you guys!

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:18 pm »
Dan was kind enough to allow to me to visit late, after my family and I had done the long drive (540 miles / 860 km) from the San Francisco area to Eugene, Oregon. It was supposed to be a quick half-hour visit, but we went to his garage/workshop to talk about his bikes, and an hour passed before I realized it.

I felt like a kid in a candy store in Dan's workshop. There is so much to see and learn.

Thanks, Dan, for a great visit!

- DaveS

p.s. I don't always wear a Thorn shirt. :) I had brought a handful of shirts with me on my vacation, and I when I looked at what clean shirts I had left and saw the Thorn shirt, I knew that I had to wear it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:28:22 pm by David Simpson »

jags

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »
 8) 8)

anto.

bobs

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:08 pm »
Fate   :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:57:14 pm »
A real pleasure, Dave. Come back again.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:17:24 pm »
I've always thought we should have a by-yearly Thorn convention. This meeting is a step in the right direction. On a related note, I wonder how many Thorn owners there are in the States and Canada.  Too bad there isn't a registry.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 12:42:48 am »
I wonder how many Thorn owners there are in the States and Canada.  Too bad there isn't a registry.
I've wondered about this myself, Pavel. Perhaps the best way is by self-reporting under a separate heading I can create if enough members PM me to show demand.

There are other methods but they are largely impractical, largely due to privacy reasons. Members' IP addresses will identify locations by country and even town, but I take great care to protect members' privacy and so I cannot publicly match member screen names to location without individual permission, an unwieldy task considering all 2600+ current members would need to be contacted first and could always decline. Plus, some members have their email privacy settings set to no notification and wish to only read posts and messages on the Forum. We average almost 46 registrations/day and about that many defections, so total numbers remain about the same making it a daunting task at best without self-selection.

Around 2003, a small section of the Gallery was devoted to the bikes of North American Thorn Owners (NATO), but it soon died out as members left for other pursuits.

I know I've surely enjoyed my in-person meetings with AndyBG, John Saxby, and Dave Simpson and had a near meeting with Slammin Sammy and his wife but missed due to schedule conflicts. A couple more folks hoped to stop by when traveling through town, but their schedules didn't allow a meet. I look forward to meeting more member/owners as it becomes possible. I keep in touch with some members by PM, email, and Facebook and have enjoyed our near-daily interactions off-Forum for years.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 09:02:15 am »
At the risk of making more work for you, could I suggest a poll?
Location of members.
UK......500
USA .......250
Germany.....34
Etc.

Matt ( who likes numbers because they can prove anything )
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Pavel

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »
yeah, I too would find a poll interesting.

Too bad governments don't regard privacy the way Dan does. I'm somewhat mystified that Andy's advertising, which I consider to be very good compared to the over the top lifestyle ads of American companies, that they don't result in a stronger number of US sales and higher popularity of the brand here in the US.