Author Topic: A nice meetup with another Thorn owner  (Read 5564 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: A nice meetup with another Thorn owner
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »
or some editable map like: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2532220

not sure this interface is the best though... somebody probably knows one that's easier

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
Humm. That's good but provides a guide for ' tea leaves '.
Hows about just stat figures for country of owners?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:01 pm »
When we get figured out what we'd like, I can either set it up here or link to a site you've made. Either way is fine.  :)

I thought about making the topic as a poll. By default, there's 5 options/choices on a poll, but I can add fields. I can also make it possible to answer the poll multiple times, so someone from the UK could answer "UK" and then some subset like England. Same for North America and then Canada or 'Merka. That would give us categories with totals in each pretty quickly and easily. Individual replies could include greater specificity if desired, maybe a thumbnail profile of the owner and model Thorn. If this sounds like a good direction, I'd appreciate it if you could come up with some suggested location fields to include in a poll.

While the idea of reviving the old NATO (North American Thorn Owners) might have some appeal for those who live on that continent, I want to keep things as inclusive as possible for all, to avoid fragmenting the Forum. Accordingly it would be nice to have worldwide regions or locations. It'll get unwieldy real quick if we're too specific (i.e. by county, parish, or state) so something "bigger" would probably work better for the poll, leaving more detail for individual posts under the same topic.

I don't mind answering with my general location (i.e. "Oregon USA"), but maybe don't want to be more specific to avoid creating a Thorn shopping list for the many thieves here'bouts locally. Some good discussion here so far, and Jim K's map shows one possibility that could work, though it lacks the numbers other might prefer.

If it all comes together, I'll make the topic "sticky" for the Thorn General board.

A reminder: We still do have a gallery entry that displayed members' photos. I can't access it at the moment because I am on break from jury duty as I type this and have to report back to to the jury assembly room at the courthouse momentarily.

All the best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:02 am »
I don't think there is a need for NATO, us on this side of the pond seemingly are a minority, but a rough idea sort of sounds like fun.  To keep it simple, I guess continents could be the poll and the country and region could just be answered in a post?