Author Topic: Scout in Southport  (Read 4376 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Scout in Southport
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »
Hi all,

Scout and I went to Southport yesterday. Blue skies for most of the time; light wind. Carried on along the prom and past the pier. Here's a few photos of Scout at the start of the Trans Pennine Trail (with the pier in the background). Scout is turning out to be a most comfortable bike.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

geocycle

Re: Scout in Southport
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:39:20 pm »
Very nice thanks for posting.  Do you by chance have a picture of the other side?  I ask as I have just had to replace the internal gear cable in the hub which had frayed (the one which emerges covered with the concertina black plastic tube).  I can't decide whether to fix it with the cables facing straight up at 12 o'clock from the dropout or at an 11 o'clock angle pointing along the seat post stay which probably gives a better cable line. I have initially put it with the cables point straight up and it works but am now wondering if that is really the best.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
What a delightful update and terrific photos Janet! Nice to see the weather largely favored you and so pleased Scout is proving to be a good companion.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
great photos janet,your getting in the miles fair play to you.
weather looks nice  pi..ing it down here ,so whats new.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:46:59 pm »
Very nice thanks for posting.  Do you by chance have a picture of the other side?  I ask as I have just had to replace the internal gear cable in the hub which had frayed (the one which emerges covered with the concertina black plastic tube).  I can't decide whether to fix it with the cables facing straight up at 12 o'clock from the dropout or at an 11 o'clock angle pointing along the seat post stay which probably gives a better cable line. I have initially put it with the cables point straight up and it works but am now wondering if that is really the best.

I'll have a look. I'm sure I have somewhere. If not I'll take one tomorrow. I'll do a close-up - I think the cables go straight up.

Janet
i'm afraid I take loads of photos of my bikes and my pets, occasionally of friends, never of me ;)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

bobs

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:07:25 pm »
Looks like you had a great day.

rualexander

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:05:45 am »
.  I can't decide whether to fix it with the cables facing straight up at 12 o'clock from the dropout or at an 11 o'clock angle pointing along the seat post stay which probably gives a better cable line. I have initially put it with the cables point straight up and it works but am now wondering if that is really the best.

The cables should exit the internal mech as parallel to the seatstays as possible, photo from Rohloff manual :

in4

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:05 am »
I was there this summer past and its a great place to cycle. I'm sure the person in the background is having an 'I must go down to the sea again' moment a la John Masefield.

If you like coastal cycling paths head on over to New Brighton where you can pick up an off road path to Hoylake, and beyond if you wish. Either cycle back along the same route or catch the train home from Hoylake station.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:42:24 am »
.  I can't decide whether to fix it with the cables facing straight up at 12 o'clock from the dropout or at an 11 o'clock angle pointing along the seat post stay which probably gives a better cable line. I have initially put it with the cables point straight up and it works but am now wondering if that is really the best.

The cables should exit the internal mech as parallel to the seatstays as possible, photo from Rohloff manual :

Thanks Rual and sorry for hijacking the thread.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

Hi Geocycle, Here's the other side of Scout. The cables do not go straight up they are at an angle of 11 o'clock.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:36 pm »
I was there this summer past and its a great place to cycle. I'm sure the person in the background is having an 'I must go down to the sea again' moment a la John Masefield.

If you like coastal cycling paths head on over to New Brighton where you can pick up an off road path to Hoylake, and beyond if you wish. Either cycle back along the same route or catch the train home from Hoylake station.

The bloke in the background was a motorbiker. He had just taken a photo of his bike and was looking at the TPT noticeboard. ;D
I do have plans to do the Wirral Way. It actually goes all the way down thru Neston and ends at Hooton where there is a railway station to get back to Liverpool and on home.  They have been renewing the rail lines across the river (or across the water as we like to say) so I thought I'd leave it until they'd finished. Mind you, I could always get the 'ferry cross the Mersey'.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

bikerta

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:36 pm »
I can remember cycling all the way along the sea front at Southport on my JOGLE nearly 3 years ago. My goodness was it windy with the remnants of hurricane Bertha  and what should have been an easy part of the ride turned out to be very difficult indeed. The sand was whipped up and into your face and the long straights seemed to go on forever. Looks much better in your photos.  I took the ferry across the Mersey and then cycled around the Wirral too.

Great to see you are enjoying your new Thorn. I don't regret buying my Sherpa at all. Can't wait to get back on it, but after my op.,  things are not going too smoothly, so think it's going to be a while yet. 

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:51 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08083BNaYcA.

brilliant.
jackie hope your back in the saddle very soon ;)

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:43 pm »
Hi Jackie,

It's very often windy in this corner of SW Lancs and the wind is predominantly from the south west or west.  I always check before leaving the house ;)  Its blowing a hooley at the moment and has been all day. I guess that's why we have a seascape full of wind turbines!

Hope its not too long before you're back on your bike.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!