Author Topic: ID when touring  (Read 2033 times)

Matt2matt2002

ID when touring
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »
Does anyone else wear wrist ID when touring?
Mine shows name, phone number of wife/ home and email.
Thoughts folks.
(Although I hope you don't need it.)
😉
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: ID when touring
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 08:48:20 pm »
Does anyone else wear wrist ID when touring?
Yes, for the past decade or so. I also carry my driver's license with photo ID and my passport (if traveling internationally) but those are usually remote from me in the safe storage of my handlebar bag, which always goes with me when I leave the bike.

Instead of using products intended for the cyclist/runner market, I instead use a Boomerang Pet Tags collar tag:
http://www.boomerangtags.com/
http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h
These tags are curved and the cutouts allow installation on a closed loop yet don't come off on their own. Stainless steel and your choice of content.

Not intended as an advertisement, I have no interest in the company; just tried a bunch of options before settling in this one. Mine is attached to my nylon webbing wristwatch band on my left wrist, the one I am told First Respondors are most likely to check for a pulse if still attached to the owner.
Mine has (my) name, town/state/country of origin, my home phone number, a phone number for family, and my worst allergies (penicillin, sulfa).

A gentle reminder: Don't list your own cell number or it will ring where you are if someone calls. Not helpful.

I've been rendered unconscious several times as a result of falls. These come in real handy when you can't speak for yourself.

PM'd you a photo on Facebook.

Also not a bad idea to alter the lock screen on your cellphone to include a contact number and email anyway and to list some contacts in your phone book as ICE (In Case of Emergency) if the phone is left unlocked for some rides where there is increased risk of a fall while alone. I've done both. Helpful, as I nearly always ride and tour alone.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:49:56 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
I just have my name and home details written on a piece of paper in me under the saddle bag.so far so good touch wood. ;)

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:01 pm »
On my wrist?  No.

Touring, I wear long pants or shorts that have zippered pockets.  I have a very minimalist wallet with a small amount of cash, health care insurance information, some cards with my name & address & phone, a credit card or two, maybe a debit card and a photo ID. If I am staying in any Hostels, I also carry my HI membership card and I might carry any cards I need for motel discounts (in USA I carry my AARP card).

In USA, when you buy a passport they ask if you want a book or card or both.  The book is the one that virtually everybody gets.  In addition to the book I also got the card to use as a backup photo ID.  For foreign travel teh passport card is quite limited, can only be used for travel on land or on water, not in air.  And it only works with Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries.  But, it is a US Govt issued photo ID, I usually carry that in my touring bike wallet.  Then if I lose my wallet, my drivers license is not lost.  I did use that passport card when I rode my bike from USA to Canada and back to USA, it was easier to carry than the passport book.

Some of my friends that have medical issues wear one on their wrist at all times when on a bike, those IDs list their medical conditions or meds or other contact info.

Several years ago I lost my wallet in an airport.  My drivers license was in my pocket, not in my wallet at that time so that was not lost.  But, the concept of trying to get on an airplane without a photo ID scared me enough that I decided I wanted a backup photo ID card, so when I got my passport later I also got the passport card to have as a backup photo ID.

martinf

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:12:29 am »
Only a driving licence or passport, generally in a pouch in a saddlebag or pannier bag while riding.

All my bikes have address tags, which would probably be enough to identify me fairly quickly if I have an accident in France, less so if elsewhere.

My long-distance touring panniers have my name written on the back.

energyman

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 05:28:26 pm »
ID & Money & Blood group card and other essential paperwork in bumbag which never leaves my side.
Can be a bit uncomfortable in bed though :)

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:05:37 am »
Hello,
I usually have my licence and credit/debit cards in a small wallet on my person. I also have a list of (18 pills) 8 medications taken on a daily basis (for Paramedics) which is very important if hospitalised!
It is something of necessity.
John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:20:31 am by leftpoole »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:35:47 pm »
Crikey! This is something for me to think about. It usually doesn't occur to me to take ID with me but now I have various medical issues and take a bevvy of pills I guess I should. Often I only take my iPhone with me but that's locked altho the lock-screen does have my postcode and house number on but no other details.  I think I need to consider this carefully.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!