Author Topic: Rumours of a new Thorn model...  (Read 2434 times)

in4

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rumours of a new Thorn model...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:06 am »
Not so terribly far off from my plans, Ian. I have a handmade 1972 road bike currently setup with the original Campagnolo 2x5 derailleur drivetrain, with plans to convert it to another fixed-gear, which I miss. However, before I go there, I am terribly tempted to make it a draisienne/"dandy horse" just to see what sort of speed I can get from Fred Flintstone propulsion.

I am so, so tempted...your post may just have tipped the scales.

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks Ian may also qualify for CBI certification  ;) )

bobs

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:19:29 am »
What, no Rohloff.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:21:10 am »
Bob to Dan's idea of a ground friction propelled padalless bicycle aka a wheeled walker:

What, no Rohloff.

You don't need 14 speeds for a wheeled walker. Two will do. And Florian Schlumpf has already designed a sectionally circular two-speed planetary gearbox, same diameter and length as a bottom bracket, that you can have your choice of surgeon insert in each of your ankles. There's a Speed model, a High Speed or Butterfly Cadence model, and a Mountain model, each with a different ratio between the two gears. You operate this ingenious gearbox by jumping upwards off the saddle and klicking your heels together in the forward triangle of the frame, at the same time resisting the temptation to shoot your arm out in pseudo-military salute, then putting your feet quickly back on the road, ready for an adventure in a different gear. Sheldon Brown used to recommend it for those recently released from state institutions of the sort where electroconvulsive "therapy" is still practiced. See
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/schlumpf.html

Here is the Schlumpf two speed box fitted with chainring and a crank (1) to demonstrate that it can be used on more bicycles than the foot-dragger, but in the Danwhiz there will of course be no cranks and two of these gearboxes, fitted to either Dan's ankles or, for extra leverage, to his knees. The bottom bracket shell can be used to store the touring compass until designers work out what that hole is for...

More from Herr Schlumpf himself:
http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/schlumpf/faq.getriebe.engl.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:24:49 am by Andre Jute »

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »
I can't imagine wanting to hang from a strap like that photo.

There are some communities in USA of the Amish, a small highly religious sect that avoids most modern conveniences like internal combustion engines or electricity.  They use a scooter that you can stand on, that would be highly preferable to hanging from a strap in my opinion.  Buy your own adult scooter here:
http://www.cottagecraftworks.com/amish-push-scooter-bikes-kick-bikes

I hope that Dan does not reprimand me for suggesting that you buy a non-Thorn.

Such scooters are of course common for kids in kid sizes, but this is the only source of them I have seen in "adult" sizes that use wheels larger than the wheels used on roller skates.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
I hope that Dan does not reprimand me for suggesting that you buy a non-Thorn.
No, not a market Thorn competes in.  ;) ;D

All the best,

Dan.