Author Topic: Bike Review -our first outing.  (Read 16822 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: Bike Review -our first outing.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 09:47:54 pm »
Thanks for your commiserations Anto I'm getting quite used to falling off bikes these days :( I have a problem with cleats; I can never get my foot to disengage in time. No damage done to Scout at all. I'm thinking of changing the pedals for a per of Shimano "Click R" pedals that I have on another bike. They have lighter springs on them and really are easier to get out of. The trouble is they look a bit clunky.
Its supposed to raining tomorrow here too. I HATE rain!

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
I had to change back to my time pedals the new shimano 530 did not suit me at all pity there nice pedals.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 12:12:03 am »
...I have a problem with cleats; I can never get my foot to disengage in time....I'm thinking of changing the pedals for a per of Shimano "Click R" pedals that I have on another bike. They have lighter springs on them and really are easier to get out of. The trouble is they look a bit clunky.

Agreed, but they sure do work well!

I finally came to them (preferring the T-400 model over the T-700) after trying about every alternative on the market...and now (as predicted) I own mass numbers of them. The story here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6943.0

They've never failed me once on my 9,000km tour in 2014 or After, and I've never fallen due to them. Clunky? Sure, but I don't see them underfoot, they offer good support/no hotspots, and the reflectors are a nice added safety factor for my all-night rides.

Best and in sympathy/empathy,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 06:47:54 pm »
Yes Dan, they look very similar to the ones I have. I think I will change them from the Shimano M530's that I bought especially for Scout. Like Anto I do like the look of them, however, the others are only about 6/8 months old.
Oh and by the way, thanks all for the tip about flipping the stem. Just done it and it works a treat. Just right, so I don't need to buy a replacement. I've also rotated the handlebars slightly towards me and moved the left hand brake lever up against the grip where I can get at it. Can't do much about the right hand side but hey-ho I'm satisfied with the way it is now.

Also put the connection for the dog trailer on the bike. Loaded dog and trailer and took hm out. God, he's heavy  :-\

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

bobs

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 09:44:35 pm »
Just get the dog out in the front on a long leash to pull you along. ;D

IanW

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 11:33:17 pm »
Hi Janet,

Yes, the choice of which "clipless" pedal, and indeed which clipless system can be a real trial-and-error.
I and my spouse successfully adapted to Shimano's SPD (mountain-bike-variant) quite well.
The ability to walk normally on top of the recessed SPD cleats is a great benefit.
We (now) use double-sided mechanisms, but with one side occupied with an SM-SH51 cleat with attached pedal reflector such that the available pedal clip is always uppermost.
But in the past we have used Shimano M323's with a full toe-clip+strap on the non-SPD side.
And I have tried the T780 single-sided-SPD with reflectors.
I think it is worth persevering with SPD pedals, but note that the stiffer the sole in your chosen shoe, the less the specific pedal platform shape matters.
And at the same time the less that the clip "tension"needs to be set.
I know that Dan favours the lower release tension of the T400 (and T700) pedals. I have not tried them.
But as my (our) confidence with being able to release the SPD system, the more that we were happy with, and indeed preferred, higher release tension.
Given how close you are to me (I am in Macclesfield) you could possibly borrow a set of T780 (or indeed the M323 + toe-clips+straps) pedals if you wanted.

--
IanW

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:26 pm »
Just get the dog out in the front on a long leash to pull you along. ;D

I wish Bob. Make him work for his dinner ;)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:42 am »
Thanks very much for your offer Ian. I'm going to perservier a bit longer to see if I get use to them. I've got the tension at it loosest so maybe its just practice I need. I probably (I hope) won't mess the gear change up again and I need to get into the habit of releasing a foot as I come to a junction. I will however take a look at the other pedals you mention.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

energyman

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 06:58:21 pm »
Why anyone would want to tie their feet to a bicycle is beyond me.  It's just asking for trouble.

jags

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 07:32:49 pm »
more power to the pedal thats why.much more secure on the bike on  fast decending no danger of loosing your footing better for climbing  because you can pull up on the pedal ,been using clipless since they first came out great system,
i did fall many a time clean forgot i was clipped in but sure thats part of the fun.

anto.

bobs

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 07:59:07 pm »
I'm  in  the platform pedal camp. Shimano  Saints, no problems getting power to the pedals, I'm  far to old to pretend I'm a racer and just take easy and enjoy the ride. Can use any shoes with flat pedals and don't  walk like a duck when off the bike. I find them  very comfortable  and have not fallen over as a result of being clipped in. Everyone to their own, we are all different.

Bob

jags

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 08:25:39 pm »
you can ride flats on spd pedals  ;)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 09:14:29 pm »
I chickened out! I've switched the pedals to the "Click R" ones. Very loose SPD one side, flip 'em over and they're flat so I can wear any shoe I like, cleated cycle shoe or trainer. It means Scout is a go anywhere do anything sort of bike.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:33 pm »
There the best pedals I had that type on the sherpa and the new audax.but I find my road shoes better because of the stiffer sole not so much pain in the ball if my feet.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:39 pm »
I'm dead lucky. I seem to be able to use any kind of shoe but my favourite is a Reebok trainer would you believe. ::) I think its the thick sole that does it for me.
Scout & Bettina's slave!