Author Topic: Bike Review -our first outing.  (Read 16825 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Bike Review -our first outing.
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:44:23 pm »
Well I took Scout out on her maiden run yesterday. I took her on a variety of surfaces, tarmac, grit track, forestry track, and chipping trail to see how she would handle them.

My first impression was that she was very heavy especially the back end but when you are aboard her it is not noticeable. Secondly, I notices her steering was a bit skittish but I got used to it quickly and found it to be of benefit when negotiating a rocky track.  She is quiet! At least in gear 8 and above. I did hear the woosh-woosh in gears 7 down to 1 but it was not particularly loud. In fact the tyres were making more noise. I love the tyres, Schwalbe Marathon Racers. Fast on the tarmac and excellent on the grit and chippings. My only problem came when I tried to get up a short sharp rise in the pinewoods. My back wheel slipped a little and I tried to go down in gear but because the gear shifter runs the other way to what I expected I went up gear instead of down. We ground to a holt and yes, we fell over because I couldn’t unclip (not sure if I’m leaving those Shimano M530 peddles on her). Luckily I fell on the opposite side to my damaged shoulder and Scout was protected by the pannier, so no real damage apart from dented pride and a bruised knee.

The bike is very easy to ride. I was amazed at the comfort over the chippings. I usually hate this bit of the journey but she handled it beautifully. My one concern is the position of the brake levers. With my little hands I have difficulty reaching them but its nothing that can’t be dealt with. On a personal note, I think I would like the handlebars a little higher but I think this would involve me getting the 90 degree stem replaced with 45 degree riser stem so I will see if I can get used to it as it is (my damaged left shoulder was uncomfortable).

Conclusion: It is a very pleasant bike to ride. It fits perfectly. I have no problem with the saddle. I will need to get used to the shifter but actually changing gear is a breeze.
We are going to get on just fine ;D 8)

Janet
PS. More photos to come
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: Bike Review -our first outing.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »
The first photo is of the gravel path, the second it at the start of the rise in the pinewoods (where I fell off :-[) And the last is a mucky Scout on the train home.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:28 pm »
Absolutely brilliant, Janet!

Happy and delighted for you! Terrific photos.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »
looks class  your health to ride it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:09:10 pm »
Janet,

Before swapping stems, a quick solution might be to invert (unbolt and flip) the stem you have, making it a "riser" stem. It will function as well either way.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:35 pm »
I was just going to  say that about flipping the stem.

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:21:23 pm »
So was I!!  Great minds think alike . . . Certainly don't make any major changes, or purchase different kit, until you have thoroughly settled on the saddle, posture sorted etc etc.

Weight - yes, Rohloff bikes do feel heavy at the rear, but I would be surprised if the RST was significantly heavier than comparable bikes, bearing in mind the rack, pedals, etc that is often left out of published manufacturers weights. And if it is heavier, it makes less difference than you expect - I used to ride a Raven Tour, heavier than the RST, and surprised myself (and others) with how well it went.  And if you regularly ride on trails, and in situations as in the photos, you will find that the RST will give you a sense of security and confidence that few other bikes can match, as well as much less maintenance needs.

Good luck

Lewis - Sheffield

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:25:37 pm »
Great to hear of such an enjoyable first ride, Janet, and to see your photos too!  No sign of the dreaded snow 'n' ice :-)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'll bear the flipping stem (pun intended) in mind. I want to move my cycle computer from my road bike to Scout as she is now my main bike. The rear rack is an awful aluminium one but it will do until I can afford better.  Off again tomorrow - the Trans Pennine Trail Trail I think (at least my end of it).

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »
T P T is good RDT territory, Janet. A mixture of urban / potholed roads, gravel trails, variable terrain - at least on the Western 2/3rds thaI know (Southport - Sheffield. Yes, lighter bikes with skinnier tyres could and have done it, but you will enjoy comfort and security / stability in all conditions.

I was out on my Sherpa today, mixed weather, potholes ++. We hope the weather is kind to you.

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:56 pm »
Sorry, RST not RDT.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »
T P T is good RDT territory, Janet. A mixture of urban / potholed roads, gravel trails, variable terrain - at least on the Western 2/3rds thaI know (Southport - Sheffield. Yes, lighter bikes with skinnier tyres could and have done it, but you will enjoy comfort and security / stability in all conditions.

I was out on my Sherpa today, mixed weather, potholes ++. We hope the weather is kind to you.

Lewis

Yes, I'm on the Southport/Liverpool end. Going up towards Southport tomorrow. One day I'd like to do the whole thing but for the time being I enjoy pottering around 'my' bit.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:44:07 am »
Janet whats the story with that trail you were on,looks nice is it a circular route just someplce nice to ride your bike. ;)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
It's an off-road route from Formby to Southport. It takes me alongside the railway (the first photos) then you go over the railway and thru the pinewoods. It's not far, only about 4/5 miles but because of all the different surfaces, I use it to check my legs  ::) and bikes. The rest of the way to Southport is via the Trans Pennine Trail which at this point is a tarmaced cycle lane adjacent to but separate from the road. It takes you through sand hills but is rather boring as you can't see much.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:25:29 pm »
Thanks Janet look's lovely.
the bike is stunning  love the color ,thank god you didn't damage you or the bike in that fall,simple how these things happen  :o

lets hope the weather picks up so as u can get some decent miles in bike and legs.
the weather here in Ireland is dire rain all day and more forecast for tomorrow  ::)
man i hate this bloody weather cracks me up big time.
anyway Janet thanks for the photos and report keep em coming.
cheers,
Anto.