Author Topic: My upcoming world tour Nomad and kit  (Read 8029 times)

dereksheph

My upcoming world tour Nomad and kit
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:35:50 pm »
Here's most of my kit for the upcomng RTW trip (photos attached). All that's missing are my Galaxy S6 phone/camera ,clothes and food items. Any comments and or advice gratefully received. This is my first major exped and my other half Linda is also coming.

Rab Neutrino Endurance 600, Exped Downmat7, MSR Hubba Hubba, MSR Gear shed, combination bike lock, Gerber knife, chain lock, MSR whisperlight multifuel stove, fuel bottles, travel towel, toilet roll, medical kit, toolkit, tyre pump, mug, cooking pots and utensils, Garmin Edge Touring Plus, Xtar battery charger, Ravpower battery, Cinq cache battery, Anker 15W solar power unit, tyre patches, chain breaker, duct tape, grease, multi tool, chain whip, Marathon Dureme 2" folding tyre, Altura barbag, highspeed 4port USB hub, Eneloop rechargeable batteries, cable ties, screwdrivers, chainring tool, eccentric bracket tool, chain links, sprocket removal tool, kindle, Ortleib Classic Roller panniers, Petzl headtorch, batteries, Steripen, wind-up radio and torch, firesteel, Alpkit 30l rucksac/rackpack. Alpkit Rig7 tarp as undersheet. Oh, and instead of a click-stand I'm using a £2 fishing rod stand slung under the top tube :)

Cheers, Derek
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:09:08 pm by dereksheph »

bobs

Re: My upcoming world tour Nomad and kit
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:21 pm »
Glad you picked an easy trip for your first major tour.   An impressive list of kit,  you seem to have covered all eventualities.  You might want to get a stronger lock to protect your stuff.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:57:19 pm by bobs »

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:25:17 pm »
epic stuff what an adventure ,you guys are certainly togged out well for this trip.best of luck enjoy and stay safe. ;)

jags.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:35 pm »
Nice kit.
I especially like the duel use if that last item.
Prop the bike up and then a spot if fishing.
Oh no. That won't work.
Lean bike against tree and then fish.
Sorted.
😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

dereksheph

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:32:20 pm »
Glad you picked an easy trip for your first major tourist.   An impressive list of kit,  you seem to have covered all eventualities.  You might want to get a stronger lock to protect your stuff.

Bob
Any suggestions for a lock ? Ta.

dereksheph

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
We're having v major problems insuring get the bikes for this trip  .... does anyone know of any or best deals ?

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:41 pm »
hang on i'll see if my buddy is up . he done rtw few years back on his nomd.

just sent him a pm on facebook if i hear anything i'll let you know. ;)

jags
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:39:17 pm by jags »

bobs

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:43:11 pm »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessorieslocks/abus-bordo-6000-lock/

This is a good quality lock and you can fit it anywhere on the bike. A bit expensive but worth it.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:50:22 pm by bobs »

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:32 pm »
its been 7 years since my buddy done that trip ,he said a lot would have changed in that time insurance wise.sorry not much help .

jags

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 11:10:16 pm »
this was Aidan India he got a loan of a motorbike 5500 mt to the top mad place.
?v=WJTwSM9hhuoww.youtube.com/w

Bill C

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:57 am »
i just googled "bicycle insurance tour" and got a load of results

on the bike lock, it might be better waiting till you find out about your insurance before buying, as the site i looked at had specific requirements about the locks they consider safe/coverable

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 03:16:47 am »
Do you have some chain lube?  Waterproof cover for your saddle?  Spare bolts and nuts, both M5 and M6?  Make sure one bolt is the right size to replace a seatpost bolt.  Spare cables (one shifter, one rear brake)?  Spare spokes and nipples?  I think I saw one tube, I prefer two spare tubes?  USB charger and cables that will work on all world voltages from 100 to 240v, plus maybe an adapter for where you will be during the next few months?  Do you have whatever you need to get your photos off your camera and onto an backup memory device or memory card?  Clothesline and a few clothes pins?  I like to carry some 100 ml squeeze bottles for liquid laundry soap so I can do laundry in a sink.  And a flat drain stopper that will work on almost all sink drains because a lot of campgrounds do not have drain stoppers.  I do not know how you are lighting your stove, but I use a liquid fuel lighter (Zippo brand) that  I use Coleman fuel in it, carry several spare flints for it.  I am not sure what you are using for skewers, for touring I prefer a bolt on type instead of quick release because I am afraid most thieves are opportunists and a skewer that uses a 5mm allen wrench instead of quick release might slow someone down enough that I do not lose the bike or a wheel, I use Halo XL bolt on skewers.  Spoke wrench, and do you have the knowledge on how to use a spoke wrench? 

With two of you, I assume a second bike.  Do you have  a pump and what you need for a flat on each bike?  Multi-tool on each bike?  There may be times that you are separated and you would want to have what you need on each bike for a flat or two.

I see you have a gear shed for your tent.  If you might want to heat water on a stove in it during inclement weather, a stove that runs on a Butane/Isobutane/Propane mix would be much safer than a liquid fuel stove because it is less likely to flare up.  I am not suggesting replacing the liquid fuel stove, I think that is a must.  But a second stove that will run on a canister may come in handy.

Will your tablet work on the internet where you have wifi?  If not, is your phone your only communication device, or will each of you have a phone?

Good luck.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 04:04:00 am »
I would suggest taking a look at Page 21 of Thorn designer Andy Blance's _Living With A Rohloff Hub_ publication for a suggested list of tools and repair spares to match against yours:
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf

My personal recommendation for tools for touring
with Thorn Rohloff equipped bike - Andy Blance 1 May 2016
Thorn tool as supplied with bike (adjusts eccentric and
removes pedals. With S&S bikes the tool supplied also incorporates
the coupling tool)
2mm Allen Key. For securing cables into bayonet or pulley wheel.
2.5mm AK (Only required if you have the old triangular shifter)
3mm AK
4mm AK
5mm AK
Sliding T bar for ¼" socket - a good quality item will last a lifetime.
8mm socket
Adaptor for bits
Torx TX 20 bit
6mm AK bit
8mm AK bit (Only required if you have square taper cranks with 8mm socket-head
nuts. Make this from short section of 8mm AK and use with 8mm socket.)
Various screwdriver bits (flat and X head)
Chain tool
Spoke key - IMPORTANT - buy the absolute best quality you can find, or you
will do more harm than good!
Lightweight slip-jaw pliers.
Triangular needle file.
Spare tube
Puncture repair kit inc talc or French chalk
Tyre levers
Pump
Pressure gauge - not a digital one -
it doesn’t need to be accurate but it does need to be consistent.
For extended touring
Tools to remove or tighten crank.
Spare brake pads
Rohloff sprocket removal tool 8501 NOT NEEDED FOR SPLINED SPROCKET
only required if you have the old style screw on sprockets.
Spare sprocket.
Grease
Chain lube
Chain links
Spare Chain and quick links - necessary for KMC Rohloff chain.
Spare spoke nipples and Spare spokes
Rapid Araldite
Super glue
Soft garden wire
Small sharp blade.
Scissors
Canvas needle and waxed thread.
Spare screws, including a chain ring bolt.
120mm long section of lightweight tyre, with bead removed and tread
sanded smooth. This can be used to mend a split tyre.
Spare gear cables, already cut to correct length, with ends silvered,
to prevent fraying.
Oil change kit 8410 - if you’re lucky, you may need several!
For internal gear cables only - e.g. The RAVEN, RT and RST
One of the following should be taken - depending on user ability:-
Spare hub cables 8271. I’d take 2 sets in case I messed one up.
Or Easy cable set 8573 (only for hubs after serial 25300)
or Quick change axle ring 8272.
You should also consider whether you need:_
Avid cable operated rear disc brake requires Torx TX 25 bit.
A roll of US$ one dollar bills - almost everyone will accept these.
A dummy wallet for muggers, with pre-stopped credit cards and lots
of high denomination (but low value) bills, in various currencies - a
friend’s hot tip - along with the US$1000 dollar bill in the seat post!
Fiona and I don’t take either - we strenuously avoid travelling to any
places where we may need them! -- Andy Blance

For an updated visual guide of Andy's touring tool recommendations, see pages 68-69 of the latest Thorn Mega Brochure:
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/THORN_MEGA_BROCHURE.pdf

I echo the comment to go with a more secure lock. A combination lock can be picked very quickly and a cable can be easily cut. My own touring solution includes a frame-mounted ring-lock with a plug-in 8mm chain sometimes augmented by a good U-lock, depending on location and risk/need (I live in an area where the risk of theft is extremely high).

All best wishes for a successful, happy tour filled with all the right kinds of Adventure,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:09:45 am by Danneaux »

DAntrim

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 10:21:21 am »
Sounds like an adventure. I have used an Exped Downmat 7 and MSR Hubba Hubba on my tours (though I found I did not use the Gear Shed as much as I thought I would in warm conditions. Probably very useful in cold/wet climates.

Like Dan I would advise a wheel/frame lock and plug-in chain. There are a few makes but I like the AXA Solid Plus with a steel plug-in chain.

Another very useful item is a cargo net. It acts as a bit of a deterrent against luggage theft, and you can stick wet and smelly clothing (also a deterrent!) under it to dry/air.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/topeak-cargo-net/

I think insurance will be a problem. I would only get health/repatriation insurance in western countries that have high medical costs. As for bike insurance, good locks and never letting them out of your site will be your insurance.