Author Topic: Shifter & Brake Lever  (Read 5939 times)

Thomas777

Shifter & Brake Lever
« on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »
As I am building up my wife's bike I see that most pics show the  brake lever to the left of the shifter. My wife was trying it and she finds it too much of a reach. Anyone mount their brake lever between the shifter and the grip? Or maybe a brake with a longer lever?

Matt2matt2002

Re: Shifter & Brake Lever
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:49:08 pm »
My shifter is on the right side of the bars.
From outside to center is the grip, the shifter and then the brake lever.
The lever goes across the shift and allows me to grip and brake.
Does that help?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

bobs

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »
I think you need a longer brake Levers.

Thomas777

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:06:20 pm »
I am trying to source some but the dimensions are not given in the descriptions.

bobs

martinf

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:07:07 am »
I don't have any twist-grip/brake lever setups on my own bikes, my Rohloffs are on drop bars with the shifters on Thorn accessory bars.

Wife's bike has a Shimano twist-grip mounted outboard of a SunTour brake lever. This works OK for her small hands.

The mobile part of the lever is fairly short at 96 mm long (not sure how that compares to 2-finger or 3-finger levers).

The fixed part of the lever is specifically shaped for use with twist-grips, with a fairly thin clamp portion and the lever pivot offset a bit to outboard.

These are old levers that work with cantilever and old-fashioned calliper brakes, not sure if anything similar is available for V-brakes.

RonS

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24:50 pm »
I think if you mount the shifter to the left of the brake it will be really hard to use the twist shifter, and it won't really help with the reach to the brake lever.
Do the brake levers you are using have a set screw to adjust the reach, and if so have you set it to bring the lever closer to the handlebar?

macspud

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:13:45 am »
I think if you mount the shifter to the left of the brake it will be really hard to use the twist shifter, and it won't really help with the reach to the brake lever.
Do the brake levers you are using have a set screw to adjust the reach, and if so have you set it to bring the lever closer to the handlebar?

+1

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:00 am »
My shifter is on the Top tube, a bit behind the stem. So I can use either hand, in turn or out turn. ha
The cables straddle the TT nicely. So they are not out front squirming with every turn. Bound to last far longer, 10,700 miles now with no adjustment. I made the post myself with a 7/8" piece of handlebar and a sawed 3" piece of old bike tubing. Angle it down some, weld and then hose clamp it. I wrapped a shoelace around the shifter to try give it some grip.

A few years ago at a LBS I saw a grip shifter with a 2 finger lever. I said to them it was so stupid. Even alone I wouldn't want a 2 finger. Where the hell do I rest the other fingers?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:05:58 am by GamblerGORD649 »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:59:00 pm »
I'm having a similar problem with the brake levers. I realise that I can't move the right one but would it be worth moving the left lever next to the grip? Might look a bit odd but at least I would have the back brake within reach.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:23 pm »
Janet,

Are the level blades a) too short, or b) are the blades too far from the handlebar to grip comfortably?

The latter problem can sometimes be resolved by the reach adjustment screw. If present, it is usually a 2.5mm allen grub screw in the lever body itself.

Best,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »
Hi Dan,

I wasn't quite sure what you meant at first. However, I think the answer is both (see photo). I am going to rotate the levers on the handlebar to bring the blades closer but even so. I have to move my hands inwards on the grips which I don't like.

Janet
PS sorry for the quality of the photo.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Thomas777

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:03 pm »
Here is an update on how I am resolving this challenge. I spoke with Tektro and ordered the Tektro CL530-RS . This is considered a "4" finger brake. The Avid Speed Dial 7 is considered a "2" finger brake. So this should make it more comfortable for my wife.

JohnJ

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
Hi Dan,

I wasn't quite sure what you meant at first. However, I think the answer is both (see photo). I am going to rotate the levers on the handlebar to bring the blades closer but even so. I have to move my hands inwards on the grips which I don't like.

Janet
PS sorry for the quality of the photo.

Hi Janet -

Looks to me, from this photo and the others else ware, as through you might not have the Rohloff version of the right-hand grip.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-42410200

Maybe that would help ?

Also are grips the large or small size ones ?

- John

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 11:34:18 pm »
Apparently they are "Ergon GP1-L Anatomic Grips - Large - Black" It looks like the right-hand one has been cut down. Maybe I'll cut it a bit more and move everything up. I've sorted the left hand one.

Thanks,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!