Author Topic: Proud new owner  (Read 17237 times)

martinf

Re: Proud new owner
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 07:47:14 am »
Are the Supremes ok on tracks/towpaths?

Yes.

I put 2.0" Supremes on the converted mountain bike I used for my last long trip, and also have them on it's replacement Raven Tour.

They are excellent on good tarmac, with their nearly slick tread and flexible lightweight casing, which also makes them very comfortable. Not noticed any grip issues with the slick tread when using them on roads in wet weather.

Probably better than tyres with more tread on the sandy cycle-paths that I used for long stretches in France, as I reckon they didn't spray sand about as much.

To my surprise they also coped quite well with much rougher surfaces, including rock-strewn tracks in the Picos d'Europa and NW Portugal, though if I had known in advance that I would be going on that sort of surface I would probably have used something slightly tougher (Duremes) for peace of mind. The total weight of bike, rider and luggage by the time I got to the mountains was about 115 kg.

They also reasonably durable (not yet worn any out) and have fairly good puncture resistance, just two so far in about 9,000 kms.

I have also used the 1.6" version of the Supreme, in the 650B size, which is slightly larger diameter than 26". Much lighter than the similar-width Marathon ordinary I had on the bike before, and a bit more comfortable and easier running. Also coped well with towpaths and local tracks, though I haven't tested them on very rough tracks.  They are now on my wife's bike after I found out that 2.0" Supremes would just fit on my 650B bike but not on hers, she appreciates the added comfort compared to the Marathons. Wife is small and light, so she can use much lower pressures than I can.

Direct comparison of 1.6" and 2.0" Supremes on the same bike - the 1.6" are a bit lighter, feel very slightly faster (no figures to prove this), noticeably less capable on very sandy tracks and (for a fairly heavy rider) less comfortable than 2.0"

Downsides of Supremes are the price, and the sidewalls are thin, so probably more vulnerable to freak accidents than something tougher like Marathon ordinary (for example unrepairable gashes caused by large pieces of broken glass or sharp metal debris).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 08:00:07 am »
Janet,

I do a lot of my desert tours, logging road riding, and gravel rides on road slicks, so your Marathon Racers are well worth a try.

I am so delighted and pleased to hear your new bike will soon be in your eager hands. I hope the minutes will pass quickly until you have it in your possession, then pass slowly as you enjoy every well-deserved moment with it.

So excited for you!

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Great news, Janet, and I hope you enjoy every moment with your new bike! I've used both Marathon Racers (700 x 35) and Supremes (26 x 1.6), the former on my day-ride bike, the latter on my Thorn Raven. They're both good tires, and comfortable. The Racers feel slightly faster, but I'm not sure that they are.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 11:55:52 pm »
It's on it way ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh joy! It's on it's way. Had a message just b4 saying Royal Mail's Parcelforce have him\her in their tender care (at least I hope its tender!).  Will let you all know how s/he rides.

Janet
PS. Thanks for all the good wishes and information about tires (is it tyres or tires???).
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 11:58:44 pm »
happy days Janet,
be sure to take her somewhere nice. ;)

tyres  ;D ;D

anto.

jags

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 06:28:53 pm »
well Janet was the new baby delivered yet. ;)

anto.

bobs

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:14:49 pm »
Hope it was painless.

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:45 pm »
 ;D ;D very quick bob.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:03 pm »
Noooooooooo! Should be tomorrow. Don't worry guys, you'll know when I get it ;) Only problem is it pouring with rain all tomorrow according to the Met Office and we have a weather warning for ice. :(

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:22 pm »
Don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight ::)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Bill C

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:08 pm »
Don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight ::)

put Dave on the telly, usually works for me ;)
good luck with the bike and weather

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 01:19:00 am »
Don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight
It could be worse, Janet...morning will come 8 hours earlier for you than for me! ;)

All the best,

Dan. (...who's that far behind most of you)

alfie1952

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:35 am »
Well today's the day, after all the waiting. In Edinburgh the weather is fine at the moment,
hopefully your weather will be fine and you'll get out on "scout" today. Blue skies and tailwinds

Regards Alfie
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:12:55 am by alfie1952 »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 09:30:47 am »
Fine here in Aberdeen, Janet.
I'll be thinking of you on my 40 mile ride today.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 03:59:48 pm »
We should have heard something by now...Janet, are you and Scout doing okay?

[Maybe they're already off on a Grand Adventure... ;D ]

Best,

Dan.