Author Topic: Proud new owner  (Read 17298 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Proud new owner
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
Yeah!
I am today the proud new owner of a British racing green Thorn Raven Sports Tour bike. To be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait. I am soooooooo excited ;D ;D ;D

Still not sure of his/her name. I'm hoping it will suggest itself to me when I get it. At the moment 'Scout' is favorite.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Proud new owner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »
Congratulations! I hope you get some fine weather for your first few spins!

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »
Great news Janet enjoy every pedal stroke  stay safe and keep her clean.
don't forget forget the photos .
the weather here in Ireland is terrible not exactly great  for cycling so if your like me  get the walking boots on.
well done tail winds all the way.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »
Its blowing a right hoolie at the moment. Bike comes Tuesday, if it comes in the morning I shall be out in the afternoon putting it through its paces. If not, I'll be out for a ride on Wednesday. I'm praying it doesn't rain. Don't know how I'm going to get thru the weekend.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
it will be well worth the wait,
what tyres did u go for.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »
As the bike was already built when I chose it, I have left it with the tyres they put on it. Schwalbe Marathon Racer's they are. I'll give them a go first before deciding whether to change them or not. I like Schwalbe's and am not particularly fussed as to what type as long as they go round ;) 
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:44 pm »
i was praying you weren't getting the marathon plus  awful tyres .supreams are class tho.i would imagine the racers are  slick like tyres happy days . i love the conti hardshell gatorskins  28 on the rear 25 up front.
but i don't think they come in 26ins ,still whatever works for you janet.

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
Congratulations! I have marathon racers at the moment. I'm using them up as they came with the bike. They are ok but not as comfy as the supremes.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
The Racers are not like Kojaks, they do have some grip. As I will mostly be on tarmac they sound about right. I also like to go on cycle tracks/towpaths so hopefully they will cope with that as well. If not, I'll try the 1.6" Supreme or maybe the Marathon Mondial.I'm Quite happy with the Marathon Originals that I have on one of my other bikes.   
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »
Congratulations! I have marathon racers at the moment. I'm using them up as they came with the bike. They are ok but not as comfy as the supremes.

Are the Supremes ok on tracks/towpaths?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:58 pm »
Janet I only ever used them on tarmac .theres not much off road cycling in my part of the country so no much help there but there great on tarmac .the racers should be fine dont go changing them just yet.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
I've ridden Supremes on some pretty gnarly trails and not had any problems with them. These days ... well right now I have studded tires on, but come March... I use Marathon Plus Tour. It was the glass and debris on roads giving me flats that got me off the Supremes.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:05 pm »
Janet I only ever used them on tarmac .theres not much off road cycling in my part of the country so no much help there but there great on tarmac .the racers should be fine dont go changing them just yet.

No, I won't. I'm not very heavy on tyres. I hardly ever wear them out. I'll give the Racers a good trial before deciding anything, Anto.

Jim, I haven't had a single puncture with the Marathon Originals (she says touching wood) but I do like the idea of comfort ;)  I had them pumped up too hard at first. When I let some air out, they were much better.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »
in case you haven't seen it already, my nifty tire pressure chart: http://interdependentscience.blogspot.com/2013/06/bicycle-tire-pressure.html

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 12:38:42 am »
Thanks Jim.
Scout & Bettina's slave!