Author Topic: Son Edelux always on!  (Read 3489 times)

Glassbackcyclist

Son Edelux always on!
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:58:58 pm »
Happened a couple of times but it's here again my light is on whilst cycling regardless if it's turned on or off! Help?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:11:50 pm by Glassbackcyclist »

Andre Jute

Re: Son Edelux always on!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:20:28 pm »
Sounds like a broken reed switch.

But why not just leave it on for the extra security of a daylight running lamp. After all, if you'd bought the BUMM lamp from which the Edelux is derived, you would have had to pay extra for daylight running facilities (unless you bought the cheapest one and just left it switched on).

I leave my lamps on day and night, and everyone in my riding group has taken a tip and rides with lights on. Drivers give us a lot of respect.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:54 am »
Happened a couple of times but it's here again my light is on whilst cycling regardless if it's turned on or off! Help?

I'd be thinking about getting it checked out by Schmidt if still under warranty.  If that's a hassle, I would bring it indoors for a few days near a radiator to ensure it is not just moisture ingress.  I've had a couple of hiccups with mine where it refused to turn on but each time it has recovered. I put these down to moisture getting in.

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:52 am »

Edeluxe lamp has three settings.
On,
off
and daylight running.
The instructions should be quite clear and informative. Download possibly?
John

martinf

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:26 pm »
My fairly old Edelux has 3 settings:
on
off
senso (lamp switches itself on in low light conditions)

As with the B&M lamps on my other bikes I generally leave it on, but sometimes switch off in sunny conditions.

When I started leaving lights on a few years ago I noticed improved traffic behaviour - oncoming cars were more likely to slow down in narrow lanes, cars less likely to pull out from side turnings, etc.

I reckon the combination of a bright front light and reflective jacket signalled "small motorcycle coming fairly fast" rather than "slow bicycle to be ignored" to drivers.

I suspect the effect has worn off to some extent now that more cyclists run daytime lights and wear reflective gear.