Author Topic: how to reproof rain jacket (help)  (Read 12893 times)

martinf

Re: how to reproof rain jacket (help)
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »
if your serious  :o
if you could get a price to post it to Dan, i'll stump up the postage, sure he'd like to try one
atb Bill
Just been to ferret it out - it is Carradice Duxback, looks to be still in good condition and still smells of wet dog despite being hung up in a wardrobe for several years.

BUT it has arms, so it is a cycling jacket rather than the cape I thought it was, so not the same thing as you have Bill, and therefore not what Dan was after.

On the same coathanger there is a matching zip-on hood (which I remember) AND matching overtrousers (I'd completely forgotten about them), all made out of the same waxed cotton material. I'm fairly sure there were matching spats as well, but they must be in the garage somewhere, so I'll look for them in the morning.

Bill C

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
mine arent that smelly, bit of a waxy smell about them but that's part n parcel of the Duxback experience  ;)
 when i was a lad 17/18 i bought a Belstaff Tourmaster/trialmaster my dad went mental at the price and the fact it smelt so bad, it wasn't allowed in the house i had to hang it in the shed when i got home from work,it was a really good jacket, no idea what became off it though
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:08:22 am by Bill C »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:09 am »

BUT it has arms, so it is a cycling jacket rather than the cape I thought it was, so not the same thing as you have Bill, and therefore not what Dan was after.
True, but the thoughtful gestures are much appreciated anyway. Many thanks for keeping me in mind, Martin and Bill!  :)

I'll have to pass for now, as I have a jacket and pants I need to  trial in the rain remaining this week. I got some photos of me in them, but astride my old rando bike instead of the Nomad, so I'll need to retake them before posting.

Heavy snow fell on the hills around town last night and early today, so despite signs of Spring, it has yet to fully arrive.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:22:13 am by Danneaux »

Bill C

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 02:42:00 am »
Martin's the one making the generous offer not me, he could of listed but offered it up on here as a freebie 8)
the post should be less than most sites charge in subscriptions so i'll have paid my site due's up to date  ;)

martinf

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:45 am »
Been hunting in the garage, found the spats, plus a helmet cover and foot covers that I had also completey forgotten about.

I'm very unlikely to use all this Carradice Duxback stuff, it all seems to be OK, so I'm still willing to offer it on the forum for the price of postage.

I think its best I start a new thread in the "Bike Bits / Accessories For Sale" section, then list and photograph each item.

Size of all the items is either Large or very Large (a loose fit on me), so sorry Jags, no use to you.

joesoap

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 10:50:30 am »
Ultimately, goretex has a very finite life and has to be looked after extremely carefully; no stuffing of  garment into rucksack or panniers if you can help it, rather hang up on a hanger when wet.

Goretex lasts for years and requires no significant care other than occasional washing and restoring the DWR outer fabric treatment.
Stuff it, roll it, whatever.

You are quite right. My mistake, I meant to say 'Goretex garments.' ( The rougher the treatment, the quicker the DWR  seems to break down, eventually not being possible to reactivate.)
 I have a 25+  year old Berghaus cagoule that is, like your garment , still not bad, but with peeling tapes, I wouldn't trust it in a Scottish mountain winter.
Keep dry and enjoy yer auld claes!

John Saxby

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »
Ah, jeez, guys, I was hoping to find The Answer here...  I was pinning my hopes on Paramo Quito (I think it was -- have to check the specs) but maybe the Holy Grail isn't to be found there, either. My problem is how to manage cool-damp-drizzly weather, which I've found leaves me sweaty & cold inside, wet outside. My MEC Derecho jacket handles serious outside precip quite well, and has good vents, but is bulky to store and doesn't work very well at all in cool-damp-drizzly weather.  Would like to sort this one out before embarking on a tour of Brittany-Wessex-Ireland-Scotland, lest I develop Bad Vibes about my ancestors' neighbourhood.

Prefer to find a technical foolproof fix here, rather than adjusting my expectations...or maybe it's just a matter of finding a warm dry pub each night?

John Saxby

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:17 pm »
Thanks, Anto. Worth a look-and-ponder, for sure, me being a dyed-in-the-wool merino guy ;-)

martinf

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:26 pm »
If anyone's interested I finally got around to posting my Carradice raingear in the "Bike Bits / Accessories For Sale" section.

Available for the cost of postage from France, but I may be slow in replying at this time of year.

Pavel

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 04:23:23 pm »
I've given up on several water resistant synthetic jackets. I use them until fairly soon they start to get me wet, and then I just enjoy that soaked feeling or get rid of them.  I am in a hot muggy part of the country and don't deal much with cold wet.

Then I discovered Carradice and the sheer brilliance of hundred year old technology made by a peoples who know "wet".

I'd re-proof that Jacket by going to the Carradice website and going to the "Rainwear" section.  Too bad that they have stopped making the pants and Jacket. Was it a modern casualty of the "ultra-light" gram counters who love things that don't last?  :(