Author Topic: how to reproof rain jacket (help)  (Read 12798 times)

jags

how to reproof rain jacket (help)
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »
whats the best way of reproofing a rain jacket ,
is there a simple spray i can buy  that works.
thanks
anto

bobs

Re: how to reproof rain jacket (help)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:09:35 pm »
Anto,  you could try Nikwax TX direct.

Bob

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:36:39 pm »
cheers Bob i'll look for that so ;)
thanks

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
Depends on the construction of the original jacket.
TX Direct is good for temporarily reinstating the DWR (durable water repellency) on waterproof breathable jackets like Goretex, but it only lasts for a few outings in wet weather before the jacket material starts 'wetting out' again.
The actual 'waterproofness' of the jacket is dependent on the original material, e.g. Goretex membrane, etc.
All, wash-in or spray-on products are at best a temporary performance booster.

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:41 pm »
Ah it's nothing special just a nylon   job but it fits me well enough and i like it .
i bought a storm proof jacket from corriene dennis  few back ,good enough jacket keeps the rain out but has a crap collor  desperate pockets and it's heavy  :'(

my own jacket is a Poray 5000 agu of holland .

anto

energyman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:54 pm »
Careful with Nik Wax products.  I washed a bright yellow Night Vision waterproof jacket and the waterproofing rubber (?) lining became unstuck and just pealed off.  Made a nice wind proof jacket after that before it went to the charity shop.
Pre Gortex days though.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:22 pm »
Ditto what the other pedal pals say about Nikwax.

I found, on a Goretex mountain jacket, that what actually makes the thing waterproof is washing it in the washing machine and chucking it in the dryer to bring up the nap of the nylon on the outside. It's that nap that keeps the drops of water away from the weave, where it can get through.

Goretex itself is a thin layer on the inside which doesn't make it waterproof, only breathable, so the quality of the waterproofing depends on the shell.

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:21 pm »
so should i just buy a new waterproof jacket then. :'(

anto.

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:50 pm »

anto.

nope, you should get a carradice poncho, you'll never go back to a rain jacket after using a duxback

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »

anto.

Wash it, put it in the dryer, brush up the nap, and see.

Re Bill's suggestion of a Carradice Duxback: I'm not enamored of cycling cloaks. I have a Dutch one, which is supposed to be the best. It keeps your shoulders dry but... It's awkward in traffic and your legs get wet under it from your wheels splashing water. Also, in any kind of a side wind, it interacts lethally with traffic. Never wear it on my bike after it nearly blew me under a truck. Good for hillwalking though.

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:19:18 pm »
Goretex itself is a thin layer on the inside which doesn't make it waterproof, only breathable, so the quality of the waterproofing depends on the shell.

Goretex tends to be a sandwiched laminate between an outer and inner fabric, but also sometimes a two layer with the Goretex membrane on the inside.
It is the Goretex membrane which is waterproof, and breathable.
But the condition of the outer fabric has a large effect on the breathability, if it can wet out then the garment can't breathe effectively.
Tumble drying and treatments like TX Direct help prevent wetting out and hence improve breathability.

in4

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:53 pm »
This forum is a terrible time sink😊 I googled the Carradice Duxback. That led me to this website that, in addition to offering a brief Duxback review also offered great insights into cycling in Malawi and skirt garters, yep, skirt garters. Enjoy.
http://www.thebikeinmylife.com/northern-malawi-not-to-be-missed-by-luke-cape/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:28:28 pm by in4 »

Bill C

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:49 pm »
Andre
i love my carradice capes, all in i have 3 (4th on way), one i lent to my son in law it's a standing joke that i'll never pry it off him
I just picked up a "new with tags" super size one off ebay for the princely sum of £29 plus £3.20 post should be here sometime this week
you need to drop a couple of gears going into a headwind but i can ride into town when it's chucking it down and still be able to roll a fag as my hands are that dry, plus you don't get all sweaty
Re legs getting wet i even have a set of carradice spats  :o never worn them though  ;D but only because i use flat pedals they are more for cleat users, i didn't want to wreck them on my spikes

jags

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 12:33:57 am »
man i'd never get away wearing a cape i'd look like a clown ;D ;D
to small and fat not a good sight.

Bill C

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 01:03:28 am »
man i'd never get away wearing a cape i'd look like a clown ;D ;D
to small and fat not a good sight.

must admit looks aren't in a capes favour,
i always break the ice with people that look at me strangly by saying "i know i look like a tw@, but I'm a dry tw@"  ;)