Author Topic: And yet more tents  (Read 15111 times)

bobs

Re: And yet more tents
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 02:29:07 pm »
I have to agree good quality  camping  equipment is money well spent.

jags

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:37 pm »
But u can buy quality at a lot less than those rip off prices.if u have the money to spend theres plenty of manufacturers that will lighten your pocket no problem.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »
I have to agree good quality  camping  equipment is money well spent.
Agreed here as well.

In 1979, I spent the outrageous sum of USD$150 for my top quality Gore-Tex bivy tent. Adjusted for inflation, $150 then would be USD$501.73 now.

The tent lasted a full 30 years and gave great service throughout.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
Anto, I agree with you. It's a balance of good quality  and cost. Your Hilleberg Anto,  how much did it cost new and how much did you get when you  sold it. The average price for a second one in good condition is £300.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:10:59 pm by bobs »

Neil Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
I thought it was called Hilleberg 'Akto' not 'Anto'  :).

Have to say I love my 'Akto', you generally get what you pay for in life and desirable makes will always fetch good secondhand prices.

Neil

bobs

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 05:07:19 pm »
No it's a unique Irish version :)

jags

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
Bob theres nothing wrong with the akto but it's not worth the price tag that for certain and i dont care if it last for 100 years ,if u look after your gear it will out last the owner.
in the camping world it's a bit of a status owning a hilleberg snobbery at its best. ;)
when i sold my sherps 1500euro all my camping gear was part of the deal everything went so i now built up another camping set up  im going to be using a cheap tent if it breaks i'll buy another Chinese take away  ;D ;D

akto oh i mean anto.

bobs

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 05:42:20 pm »
That could be your  new nickname Akto Anto  ;)

jags

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
That would be cat baloue bob ;D ;D

Pavel

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:18 am »
Bob theres nothing wrong with the akto but it's not worth the price tag that for certain and i dont care if it last for 100 years ,if u look after your gear it will out last the owner.
in the camping world it's a bit of a status owning a hilleberg snobbery at its best. ;)
when i sold my sherps 1500euro all my camping gear was part of the deal everything went so i now built up another camping set up  im going to be using a cheap tent if it breaks i'll buy another Chinese take away  ;D ;D

akto oh i mean anto.

If the Hillebergs are not "not worth it" to someone, then buying a Thorn must be a crime of insanity, by the same logic.  But on both counts I disagree, of course. The bike and the Tent both are the first two things that make the trip a pleasure or an awful experience.  I'll spend the money on those two things for sure, as well as a good sleeping bag. I want to enjoy my hard fought for relaxation time - not maximize my misery and chance of failure. Riding a Thorn and making do with a cheap tent is like buying a Ferrari and then putting $45 dollar no-name Walmart tires on it. So close, yet so far.  It's a lot like buying a made in china, discount parachute.

come to think ... my rear wheel alone costs more than about three Hilleberg tents. And at the same time I can buy what looks like a great bicycle at the local Walmart for under 150 bucks. I must be a nut to have bought a Thorn. :D

No, I don't mind a fair price for top of the line shelter, especially when it can make or break a trip. On the other hand - don't get me started on the high prices of Beer; another make it or break it necessity! :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:45:02 am by pavel »

Neil Jones

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 11:08:11 am »
Pavel, I totally agree with you on all counts including beer prices.

I bought my Akto about 10 years ago for £320, I've probably spent about 100 nights in it which works out at £3.20 per night. I expect it to last another 20 years with good care. I know friends who have bought cheap tents and been so frustrated with them that it's ruined their camping trip and they bin the tent and get another cheap one only to do the same again. Also Hilleberg's after sales service is second to none.

Regards,
Neil

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »
Tents discussion, eh?

It's funny stuff: there are so many bits of folk wisdom echoing about the atmosphere.  The most pointed one, it seems to me, is "Buy quality, or repent at leisure."  (What "quality" is, can be debated, for sure. Rubbish -- that seems readily evident, esp after a cold/wet/windy night in an inadequate tent.)  It's not always the case, however, that "You get what you pay for."  There are a few too many examples around of expensive mistakes, products with prices & reputations which exceed their performance.

I follow the "tents" discussions on crazyguy, as well as on some hiking forums, and it seems that a pretty good rough-and-ready guide has emerged:  "Cheap, light, durable: choose any two." 

Javier

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:31 am »
Tabby Cat,

1. I would suggest you test the tent under rain or a sprinkler. Some tents are not sealed and perform flawless under rain (thought they are expensive tents).

2. If the seams leak, remove the tape and seal them yourself very cheaply. You can do this using a mixture of silicone and solvent thinner (1:1 weight ratio) and a brush, it sticks to any nylon or silinylon fabric, including your hands, gloves, parts of the tent that you do not want to seal, anything you touch...

3. Once it is dry covered the seams with talcum powder, so it will be less sticky and shiny, after some use will be ok.

Happy mess

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:19 pm »
Thanks. I'll give it a go - I rather like this tent and I can't find another similar.

Janet
PS. I've just found a tiny wee hole that I sealed with a plaster (bandaid)  :o ::)  ::)  Must have happened years ago but still working.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 12:03:42 am »
only joking lads if i had the dosh (i Dont ) i'd buy in a heartbeat hilleberg nallo gt2 super tent.jury still out tho on that rohloff  ;D

anto.