Author Topic: And yet more tents  (Read 15252 times)

John Saxby

Re: And yet more tents
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:21 pm »
I've had one of the older Hubba Hubba's for about 8 years now. It's been a good tent for 2 for its size & weight, and was a good price.

Condensation is the biggest problem I've had with it. The fly wasn't vented--later models have vents in the fly--and although all tents I've used are subject to condensation, the Hubba Hubba was worse than most. My Tarptent DW Moment, for example, has much better ventilation betw the fly & the inner.

I'm also with Bizarro on using a separate tarp as an exterior shelter. My Raven makes an excellent prop for the tarp.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:02 pm »
I've liked the look of the Hubba Hubba since I saw one at my local Cotswold Outdoors. The new one goes up fly first but the original goes up inner first, doesn't it? Not so good if its chucking it down.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Pavel

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:54 pm »
the Hubba Hubba is a decent tent. Sort of like owning a Surly Long Haul Trucker.
The hilleberg tents ... sort of like owning a Thorn.  ;)

They say, "life is short". Live it comfortably and safely - with the very best, I suggest. Why is my financial advisor (the wife) laughing at me like that, as I write that, I wonder?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:02:23 am by pavel »

John Saxby

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »
The new one goes up fly first but the original goes up inner first, doesn't it? Not so good if its chucking it down.

That's one of the problems with my earlier-generation Hubba Hubba, Janet, and MSR did well to fix that. (Hilleberg and Tarptent products, and maybe others too, let you pitch the tent in the rain with less chance of the inner getting soaked.)

OTOH, I've never had that problem with my Hubba Hubba.  Main reason is that I live in a place where I rarely if ever have had to pitch my tent in the wet, whether hiking, canoeing, or cycling.  (Our rains tend to be concentrated in early spring and the autumn, and softie that I am, I avoid cold wet weather.) The couple of times I've pitched camp when it has been raining, I've rigged the tarp first, pitched the tent inner under that, then the fly; and then readjusted the tarp to give me a dry cooking/unpacking/relaxing spot.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »
The new one goes up fly first but the original goes up inner first, doesn't it? Not so good if its chucking it down.

That's one of the problems with my earlier-generation Hubba Hubba, Janet, and MSR did well to fix that. (Hilleberg and Tarptent products, and maybe others too, let you pitch the tent in the rain with less chance of the inner getting soaked.)

OTOH, I've never had that problem with my Hubba Hubba.  Main reason is that I live in a place where I rarely if ever have had to pitch my tent in the wet, whether hiking, canoeing, or cycling.  (Our rains tend to be concentrated in early spring and the autumn, and softie that I am, I avoid cold wet weather.) The couple of times I've pitched camp when it has been raining, I've rigged the tarp first, pitched the tent inner under that, then the fly; and then readjusted the tarp to give me a dry cooking/unpacking/relaxing spot.

I don't blame you giving cold wet weather a miss but if you live (and/or holiday) in these isles you have to expect it.  ;) :(
The more I see the tent, the more I like it. One thing that really confuses me though is that I can't find it on MSR's web site (or is it just me?) altho Cotswold Outdoors is selling it.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

John Saxby

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:17 pm »
Thanks, Janet.  Here you go:  https://www.msrgear.com/

Lotsa good gear there. In past years, I was a walking/paddling advert for MSR--stoves, tents, mattresses. Some of their stuff, I've owned for 35 years--still have a stove and a couple of Therma-rests from the early 1980s, and occasionally use them.

if you live (and/or holiday) in these isles you have to expect it.

So true... Reckon I'll aim for May, next time I come cycling in the Old Country  :-)

leftpoole

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:45 am »

I don't blame you giving cold wet weather a miss but if you live (and/or holiday) in these isles you have to expect it.  ;) :(
The more I see the tent, the more I like it. One thing that really confuses me though is that I can't find it on MSR's web site (or is it just me?) altho Cotswold Outdoors is selling it.

Janet
[/quote]

Cotswold and Snow and Rock (same people) do stock certain things which the manufacturers sell nowhere else. At present a TerraHogan Vaude tent for example is on sale for £230 supposedly reduced from £290 but only available in Cotswold.
Maybe it had the tent you were looking for, on the same type of deal?
John

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:19 am »
The Terra Hogan Vaude looks a good tent and at a good price.

Another reason I recommend the Hubba Hubba NX was the fact that it has two doors. I have found this feature invaluable on tour.
Several times in windy and/or wet overnight camps the direction of the weather can change, especially during a thunder storm. This allows you to open the best side of the tent for improved weather protection.

Yes, the downside of the Hubba Hubba NX is that the inner goes up first (unlike the Tour 2) though it is just possible to put the outer up first then the inner with a bit of fiddling around. Never tried it though. A small micro-towel is useful if the tent has to be put up in the rain. Also useful for coffee spills (already tested!).

Whichever tent you end up with Janet I would get the matching footprint to go under the ground sheet. Relatively expensive though or you can make your own.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:09:45 am by StuntPilot »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »
I'd second a ground sheet for the tent.
I cut one from thick plastic.
If your tent has a porch cut that section to be included in the rectangle.
Mark the corners one side so you can lay it the same way up every time.

Am i the only one who thinks this thread is intense?
😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

martinf

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 06:02:31 pm »
I no longer have the opportunity to do much camping, but use thin closed-cell EVA foam sheet as footprints for my tents (3mm Karrimat from the early 1980's). This was available in a large enough width to cut a single piece to go under the tent, which could be folded and then rolled to make a fairly bulky but very light package for transport across the rack over my rear panniers. Very resistant to tears or punctures, and added some useful thermal insulation for winter camping.

When I was younger, I didn't bother with any other "mattress", later on I added a normal-thickness foam sleeping pad (yellow Karrimat).

Thin closed-cell EVA foam sheet seems difficult to source nowadays.

John Saxby

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:55 pm »
Am i the only one who thinks this thread is intense?

Ummm, how to say this?--I thought it, Matt, but (just barely) held myself back from saying it...

D'you think they've got us pegged?

jags

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2017, 07:31:51 pm »
I have decided to take my better mountain hardware on this tour of ireland im doing in may.I have the tent in a much smaller drybag so pavks much smaller.my niece will make me anew bag for the poles which are quiet heavy but quality.ill put them under the top tube.should work fine I reckon.

I tried the set up today except for the barbag man its very light up front.but hopefully with the poles under the toptube and barbag loaded up the bike will feel more balanced..

Yeah the naturehike tent is a good tent but warmer dryer weather best. Suited im t hinking.

Anto.

Bizarro

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2017, 11:09:28 pm »
.. and what is your preference.. side doors vs doors on top/feet?

I always use the top doors and never tried a tent with side doors.

jags

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:57 pm »
Side door for me.

David Simpson

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2017, 01:01:20 am »
I prefer side doors.

If the door is at one end, then you need to decide whether to put your feet or your head at the door. I like my head at the door, so I can peek out. But if my head is at the door, then whenever I am entering or exiting the tent, I am crawling over the head of the bed.

With a side door, it is easier to sit up and "pivot" out on your rear.

I haven't tried a tent with doors at each end (top and bottom).

- DaveS