Author Topic: And yet more tents  (Read 15223 times)

Javier

Re: And yet more tents
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:23 am »
In defense of Hilleberg tents:
I bought my first Akto 21 years ago and used it hundreds of times, I always looked after it properly, it never let me down in a variety of environments and very tough weather conditions, a superb tent. I sold it when it was 17 years old and I still got Ģ120. Then I bought another tent, you can guess which one, another Akto, this time second hand in mint condition, which it might last for another 17 years. I have three Hilleberg tents (Akto,  Nammatj 3GT, Nallo 2), by far the Akto is the one I use most, as I travel on my own most of the times.
A friend of mine uses cheap tents and they perform ok, but in 8 years he has gone through 3 tents, but he does not look after them, so for him a cheap tent might be the right way to go. Nowadays cheap tents are good enough for light/medium camping, are light and the fabrics and materials are pretty good, but if you are going to face serious conditions a good tent is worth the money. They are expensive, true, but top quality fabrics are expensive anyway. I tried to make my own tent but by the time you buy the materials it is not worth the effort and the quality of the final product.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:57:21 pm by Javier »

John Saxby

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:20 am »
if you are face serious conditions a good tent is worth the money.

Yep, and more than that: inadequate gear in serious conditions can be not just uncomfortable, but downright dangerous.  It's not just a matter of "repent at leisure", it's the ultimate false economy.

Javier

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 05:18:10 pm »
The only problem I find with the modern outdoor gear (tents, sleeping bags, some jackets) is that they are not cinder proof. This is OK for >95% of users but for serious bushcraft this is an issue, as dealing with fire and staying in its proximity it is a most to keep you warm and well fed in winter conditions. I would not like to pitch my tent close to the fire (as you can see in many silly advertisements of gear and tents) or being by the fire wrapped in a modern sleeping bag. Sure you can get "cinder proof" gear but at a price, extra volume and weight. Anyway, not a big issue to me, as nowadays making fire is prohibited in most places, a hazard for flora and fauna, and I like to keep a low profile when camping, there is no a better thing to advertise your presence than making fire... (so if it is not a big issue to me then why I said "it is a problem of the modern outdoor gear"?!  :) ... just a thought

Bill C

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:15 pm »
Golite Hex/Shangri la for me not perfect but very versatile
can't buy them new anymore but you can get pretty highly spoken of copies at backpackinglight uk and not that expensive
i can get my bike in mine at night and still have room for a single inner, i sleep MUCH better knowing where my bike is  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:52:05 pm by Bill C »

mickeg

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 12:01:03 am »
Agree with the recommendation for Seam Grip for seam sealing.  I had some tape fall off some goretex rain pants a year or two ago, I did not bother with trying to keep the tape.  Instead I just put on a good coat of seam grip.

I have found that Seam Grip, if stored in a glass jar with tight fitting lid in the freezer will last a lot longer after the tube has been opened.  I usually only got a few months of lifespan out of tube once opened.  But the freezer method seems to make it last a lot longer.

I just finished a trip with my new Big Agnes tent.  Worked great.  Got it on clearance for less than half of new retail price.

Pavel

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 03:21:47 am »
John Saxby ... which Tarptent do you have? I've got the Cloudburst 3 and love everything about it, especially the setup, except for the silver color and how sticky the material is when you push the poles through.  The silver glows in moonlight, not a good thing when stealth camping - I'd quickly buy a second one if they made it in dark green.  Meanwhile. I dream of several hillebergs'.  I'd spring for one finally, if it were not for the fact that I've found sleep nirvana in the form of my "simply light" hammock. At this point I carry both the Cloudburst and the Hammock. The tent is for when there may not be any trees, and the Hammock for when I want to sleep like a baby. :)

John Saxby

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 08:46:35 pm »
Thanks, Pavel.  Sorry to be a bit slow in answering -- I missed your Apr 8 post 'cos I was recovering from a long and tiring flight from Down Unda.

My Tarptent is a one-person Moment DW [ https://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html ]

For its size/weight/packed volume, it's the best tent I've owned, and the price is reasonable. The ventilation is very good -- two large sealable vents at each end of the tent, two small ditto in the fly near the hoop. and two vestibules, with covers that can be partly or completely open.

In its "standard" format, it's not free-standing. I purchased the extra nose-to-tail alu crossing pole, which converts the tent to free-standing. On my trip in the western mountains last summer, I found this very useful, since many of my campsites were hardpacked earth and/or gravel.

The tent is a grey-green colour -- OK for stealth camping, I should think.

Hope that's helpful, Pavel.  (I seem to recall a comment from a reader in another thread that they wanted a fully free-standing tent -- was it you, perhaps?)

Cheers,  John

Bizarro

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »
Just order a new tent two days ago.

I only camp on summer and my longest tours last 6/7 nights so almost any tent will do the work.

I had some requirements for the new tent, it had do be self standing, i need to be able to sit on the inside, light and a two person tent.

Bought a Naturhike tent. I found some good reviews on Youtube about this brand and according to the description it looks a good option. Letīs see how it works.

A couple of days ago, i found a thing called Improved bednet system  8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:16 pm »
A couple of days ago, i found a thing called Improved bednet system
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Catoma-Adventure-Shelters-Improved-BedNet/dp/B0081CA7QG

Best,

Dan.

Bizarro

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
A couple of days ago, i found a thing called Improved bednet system
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Catoma-Adventure-Shelters-Improved-BedNet/dp/B0081CA7QG

Best,

Dan.

Yes, itīs a bit bulky but itīs a self standing tent and is ready in seconds.

There is a fly as an option, but then it starts to be really bulky

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 12:07:21 am »
I've recently seen a new version of the MSR HubbaHubba - the Hubba Tour 2 specially for bike touring.  What do you think of it?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:58 am »
guy i know has the hubba hubba  used it on his tour across the usa , he reckoned it was a very good tent  its expensive though not much different than the new one  i reckon.
the tarp tent scarp 2 looks a great tent but sure you never know a good one until you try it first hand.i made that blunder with the akto :'( :'(

anto

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 09:58:40 am »
Janet - I have the Hubba Hubba NX and used it on the last 3 month tour. I think it is one of the best single person touring tent (The Mutha Hubba 3 person tent would be ideal for a couple).

The Hubba Hubba tents appealed as it can be set up free standing without pegs which was one of my requirements. For example it can be set up on a floor of a room as a mosquito net when required, or on hard ground. The Hubba Tour 2 can also be used inner only.

On the this last tour I also took the Gear Shed and only used it about ten out of sixty or so nights. The Gear Shed is great while waiting out a spell of bad weather. More spacious and homely!

The Hubba Tour 2 appears to be a exactly like the Hubba Hubba with the Gear Shed always attached. For this reason I would stick to the Hubba Hubba and Gear Shed combination for more flexibility.

MSR are based in Seattle Washington which seems to be quite a wet climate so may be better suited if you were always touring in cooler or wetter conditions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:07:18 am by StuntPilot »

Bizarro

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:34 am »
I've recently seen a new version of the MSR HubbaHubba - the Hubba Tour 2 specially for bike touring.  What do you think of it?

Janet

It's quite nice, because you have a garage for the bicycle and it looks quite roomy. The fact that the inner tent and the rain fly are built together it's a plus for me.

On the other hand it's heavy (2.7 kG) and with a large footprint, so depending where you are camping it can be a problem.

I prefer to carry a small tarp with me to cover the bicycle if needed.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:18 am »
Agreed Bizarro, its a nice looking tent. I also carry a Bike Parka bike cover and never put the bike into the vestibule/gear shed.

The Hubba Hubba NX I have is 1.72kg and the latest version is 1.54kg. The Gear Shed weighs 0.822kg.

Some other useful specs ...

Hubba Tour 2 is 2.97 (tent floor area) + 2.32 sq m (vestibule)
Hubba Hubba NX is 2.70 sq m (tent floor area) + 1.62 (vestibule)
Gear Shed is 2.5 sq m (floor and vestibule). Of course you loose one of the tent vestibule areas with the gear shed attached (0.81 sq m)