Author Topic: cyclists and drivers interactions: being fair or being quiet dilemma  (Read 2790 times)

Javier

Another commuting ride with a bitter end: I have been horn-blasted for being legal. I am law abiding in my rides, I know the national and local bike legislation backwards, which I follow them religiously, in addition, I ride defensively and with common sense, which bring extra-safety to my commuting and touring trips. It really pisses me off that no matter how legal my ride is, there is no a single day in the city that after 45 min on the bike some smart arse blasts their horn because they want me to use the bike lane rather than the road. In my country and region the use of bike lanes is optional, the cyclists can use the road or the bike lanes as they wish, unless it is properly signed or in heavy traffic. Almost no one knows this piece of legislation; this is because the authorities have not done any effort to inform the population, so drivers assume that if there is a bike lane there the cyclists have to use it, period. Bike lanes in my city are Mickey Mouse lanes, most are shared with pedestrians, end without notice, are too close to parked cars (“door opening surprise”), are full of obstacles and poorly maintained. This makes their use unsafe and painfully slow.
I always inform the drivers, that blast me with their horns, on the actual legislation (including reference citation), if they give me the chance, but most of them do not bother and think that even if I am legal the legislation is rubbish. There was only one driver once who recognised he did not know the legislation and apologised for his action and thanked me for the piece of information. Other drivers say that their advice is on the benefit of my health, these ones are smoking when driving, and others are using their mobile phone (not a hands free phone) when blasting their horns.  Sometimes I do not use the road just for the sake of avoiding any confrontation with daringly ignorant drivers, which adds 20 min to my commuting using the convoluted and dangerous bike lane circuits. Even I ask myself: “is it my fault, despite I am legal?”.
It has crossed my mind a couple of times buying a helmet camera, in case a driver gets aggressive, but the thought of mixing cycling and surveillance just makes me sick.
Anyway, sorry for rambling, I think I will keep going with my policy of instructing the ignorant as politely as I can in the heat of the moment.
Maybe the personal experience of the members of the forum will provide me with good tips to face unavoidable confrontations and make my commuting more enjoyable.
Regards

jags

Re: cyclists and drivers interactions: being fair or being quiet dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:43:25 pm »
Drivers are a law onto themselfs just got to be carful out there no matter what,car will always come off best as soon as its legal to mount an Ak47 of the top  tube ;)ń

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:22 pm »
I think you're very sensible. I think having a camera on your helmet or bike antagonizes the already irate drivers (who are on the defensive because oft times they know they're wrong). When I used to ride to work (18 miles there and back) I was lucky in that the majority of motorists were reasonable considerate and if they got too close, I'd deliberately have a little wobble. They invariably backed off. Mind you I'm going back over 20 years ago. They are probably more aggressive now. :'( Do you think maybe I got away with it because I'm female???

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

energyman

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
After nearly 60 years cycling I am of the opinion that some drivers are less tolerant of cyclists these days. Being both a driver and a cyclist I understand why cyclists can sometimes antagonise drivers.
I have never forgiven the Gas Board van driver that made me loose my pedals 50 years ago and I became cross-eyed for a good couple of hours !
 :'(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »
After nearly 60 years cycling I am of the opinion that some drivers are less tolerant of cyclists these days.
I'm convinced people are more stressed and on tighter schedules with less sleep than in the past and so are less tolerant of anything that might impede them. I think this causes a lot of the poor interactions we see on the roads these days -- and in Life.

Best,

Dan (...who is trying to take a more chilled approach to Life)

Javier

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »
I believe that drivers are more respectful when they are both motor drivers and cyclists, as they know the cycling idiosyncrasy.
Including in the driving test a few days of cycling (road and city) would improve significantly the interactions between both collectives. Though, I wonder how many drivers would not pass the driving test because of their awful cycling!  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:11 pm »
I believe that drivers are more respectful when they are both motor drivers and cyclists, as they know the cycling idiosyncrasy.
Surely, there is truth in this.

Here in Oregon, drivers can request "Share the Road" car registration (license) plates. I have some on my car: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7643.msg49345#msg49345

I find this a good way to show I ride as well as drive, and it has had an unexpected effect in practice: While cycling, I find drivers with these plates are considerably more aware of cyclists' needs in practice (probably because they also ride or at least relate to the concept of road sharing). I find them more "trustworthy" for lack of a better term, and more reliable on allowing adequate room when passing, waiting/avoiding turning in front of me at street corners, and generally more aware of road rules toward other vehicle operators of any type.

It also reminds me the concept of road sharing goes both ways so I take great care to cycle responsibly as well, stopping at traffic controls, signaling turns, and trying to be as predictable as possible. I really can't do much about the road behavior of others, but figure if I cycle and drive responsibly, my chances for a bad outcome are greatly reduced whether on the bike or behind the wheel. When driving, I practice the "Dutch reach" (opposite hand on the door release so I turn to look back) before opening the car door and verbally ask myself "No bike?" as I check my mirrors and turn 'round to actually look before making a turn that would take me across the path of a cyclist in the bike lane.

We now have "green box" turn lanes in my city, and I think they are serving as visual aids to remind drivers cyclists have a rightful place on the road and in turn lanes: http://nacto.org/publication/urban-bikeway-design-guide/intersection-treatments/bike-boxes/

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:36:06 pm by Danneaux »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »
Yes, we have these in Britain too.

It makes my blood boil when I see a cyclist cycle through red lights. >:( passing me who is stopped.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!