Author Topic: Bob Yak trailer V Topeak Journey bike trailer  (Read 13647 times)

martinf

Re: Bob Yak trailer V Topeak Journey bike trailer
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 07:44:33 pm »
A dog would come under my definition of a bulky load - wouldn't fit comfortably in a pannier bag on my Thorn Raven Tour, though it might be a possibility in a modified bag on the front of my Brompton.

So a single wheel trailer looks like the best option for touring, if the dog accepts the change of type of trailer.

I'd be inclined to apply the same philosophy to a trailer as I do for a bike frame  - i.e. go with a steel trailer (BOB Yak or similar) rather than aluminium. If a steel part breaks it is easier to get it repaired (brazing or, at worst welding).

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:23 pm »
I...can't look at those photos without smiling!  :)

Best,

Dan.

Me too. My friend took them for me on her camera and kindly gave me copies. You should see the one of him standing up. We cycled home with his head poking through the top. How the kids in the park laughed. ;D

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 11:09:22 pm »
A dog would come under my definition of a bulky load - wouldn't fit comfortably in a pannier bag on my Thorn Raven Tour, though it might be a possibility in a modified bag on the front of my Brompton.

So a single wheel trailer looks like the best option for touring, if the dog accepts the change of type of trailer.

He also won't stay sat down for very long either! I wonder what effect that would have on a single wheel??? :-\
Scout & Bettina's slave!

martinf

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »
So a good idea to find someone willing to let you try a single-wheel trailer with the dog before buying.

Looking at your existing trailer, if you decide to keep it, it may be worth fitting better tyres (cheaper than getting a new trailer).

A few years ago I replaced the original (moped) tyres that were on my heavy trailer when I bought it second hand in the early 1980's, as the rubber had started to perish.

I chose 60mm width Schwalbe Big Apple tyres. These are significantly fatter but much lighter than the originals, and roll much better on the flat, although they don't make much difference whan climbing hills. Another bonus is that the fat low pressure tyres provide some rudiment of suspension, useful when carrying something fragile.

jags

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:00 am »
great company  dogs, i had my little buddy over 20 years ,gone but no forgotton i buried him  at the side of the house .

rualexander

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39:07 pm »
There's a Weber Monoporter trailer come up for sale on the CTC forum https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=112422&sid=8403cef0be14c3551dc7ade95e479c1c

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 03:32:16 pm »
great company  dogs, i had my little buddy over 20 years ,gone but no forgotton i buried him  at the side of the house .

I hope I have Hamish that long, Anto.

Rual, Thanks for the heads-up but the coffers are empty at the moment (as I am just about to put final payment down on my Thorn) and I am only looking. I think I will have to go with what I've got for a while longer. Martinf's tip about the tyres is worth looking at. Maybe I just need to upgrade my legs ;)

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:52 pm »
Hah I like that upgrade the legs when u find the best shop send me a link im in need of a.new body. ;D

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 06:15:54 pm »
Same here mate :D
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »
 ;)