Author Topic: Australian rural landholders opening up to camping  (Read 3650 times)

Vintagetourer

Australian rural landholders opening up to camping
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:25:50 pm »
Dear fellow tourers,

This news may be of interest to any of you heading DownUnder on your fully loaded Thorns wondering where you might pop up your tent.

There is now a wider range of camping sites available on some rural landholdings.
There's even an App available to help you find the spots.
Read all about it here. Well I hope the news article is readable internationally. Let me know if it isn't and I will do some copy and pasting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-23/farmers-embrace-sharing-economy-camping/8200424#.WI527YTqMJ4.mailto

John Saxby

Re: Australian rural landholders opening up to camping
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »
Thanks for this, Graham -- useful info.

Cheers,  John

Vintagetourer

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:30 am »
John I should mention (now that a fellow cycle-tourer has pointed out to me on another forum) these farm-camps are not a cheap option, and they not being pitched at the low budget tourer. It's as much about the farm experience as it is about a place to pitch one's tent. The option would appeal to those who have not had access to farms before, and who do not mind paying a bit more for the experience.

Cheap...indeed free...wild camping is not hard to find in Australia. This rural landholding camping is a step up in cost from that type of camping, but it would make a rural sample Australia available which would otherwise have to be found via relatives friends who own farms.

jags

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:30 pm »
not that i'll ever do  it but  what price are they charging to pitch a tent. ;)

anto.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:50:40 pm by jags »

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:59:39 pm »
Thanks, Graham, more useful info, which I didn't see in the article.  We have a "farm stay" association in Ontario as well -- not unlike rural B & B's.

I'll look for the wilder option.

in4

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »
I'm currently in the NT getting soaked on a daily basis. Unsurprisingly most campsites up here are closed during the 'Wet'; given they are mostly underwater thats hardly a surprise. If I'm here for the dry season I'll be sure to do some camping. No mozzies, the crocs are not on the move and the oppressive heat and humidity is replaced by warm, dry days and cool sleep conducive nights.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
not that i'll ever you it but  what price are they charging to pitch a tent. ;)

anto.

Lots more detail here...
https://youcamp.com/

Vintagetourer

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:32:25 pm »
Thanks, Graham, more useful info, which I didn't see in the article.  We have a "farm stay" association in Ontario as well -- not unlike rural B & B's.

I'll look for the wilder option.

John my limited understanding is that this genre is a different to Farmstays and B&Bs, in that it is camping...or perhaps more like Glamping...than staying in roofed accommodation.
The innovation aspect is they have set up the website  https://youcamp.com/ and an App was mentioned. May be its a bit like AirBnB.

If you are looking for wilder options, do a some research on Travelling Stock Routes (TSRs). These are either free or a nominal fee. CGOABer Warren Hudson is a big fan of stock-route cycle-tours. The Australian nickname for Stock Routes are "The Long Paddock". Local Land Services (LLS) in NSW look after Travelling Stock Routes. Don't know about Qld. Probably similar.

These routes would be ideal for your Eclipse...or your Thorn.