Author Topic: fitting front mudguard.  (Read 4917 times)

jags

fitting front mudguard.
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:25:16 pm »
whats the best way to fit the front mudguard its bolted under front fork ,so do i whip off that steel   fitting and drill a hole in the mudguard ,didnt buy them yet just curious  ;)

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: fitting front mudguard.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:33:48 pm »
Yep.

I just did this to fit front fenders to a couple of Thorn forks. Works well. Be sure to use a washer above and below and use a nut one size larger as a spacer if you need it. A drop of Loctite 242 (blue, medium) would not be amiss. This assumes the fenders are plastic.

If metal, then you'll need to also fit some leather washers.

You'll have two holes to choose from for placement.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
cheers Dan i was just looking at the ones i have spare and was thinking that ain't going to work :o
always ask someone that knows better as me mammy used to say ;)

anto.

Javier

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:04 pm »
To fit mines I followed the same procedure as described by Dan. In my case I needed about 20 mm spacers that I made by drilling a solid rod of gray PVC, which then I painted with a black waterproof marker to match the color of my Nomad. A solid fit and looks good

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »
In my case I needed about 20 mm spacers that I made by drilling a solid rod of gray PVC, which then I painted with a black waterproof marker to match the color of my Nomad.

Nice idea. I just used a stack of metal washers, but I like your idea much better. It's lighter, looks cleaner, and is easier to get the correct length (by filing it down little by little). Another tip to file away in the back of my memory. Thanks.

- DaveS

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
any photos lads  ;)

anto.

Javier

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:54:24 am »
Hi jags
Sorry I missed your message asking for pictures. I am attaching one. I hope it helps.
Regards
Javier

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:50 am »
Good stuff thanks for that.

bobs

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 04:37:01 pm »
That's a neat solution.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 05:31:27 pm »
Agree with everything above.

Use enough spacer (or washers) so that the front of the fender does not get pushed down by the fork crown.  You can see a tiny bit of gap between the fender and crown at the front in the photo.  If the front of the fork crown pushed down on the fender, the front of the fender could bend down towards the tire.

I also used a stainless fender washer (larger diameter washer) under the fender that I bent to approximate the curvature of the fender.  And I glued the fender washer to the fender with shoe goo which hardens to a rubbery like consistency.

In my case I removed the little metal bracket that was riveted to the fender by the manufacturer, then used the slot that was already in the fender to mount it instead of drilling a new hole.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »

bobs

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 04:52:39 pm »
That's what I have on the Nomad and they are great.

Bob