Author Topic: Binochular choice.  (Read 2133 times)

Matt2matt2002

Binochular choice.
« on: January 15, 2017, 05:10:17 pm »
I have just used an Xmas voucher to purchase  a Bushnell 8x21
Any thoughts on ideal/ preferred set ups for touring?
I took a monocular on a tour a few years ago and wasn't happy with it.
X2 lenses are better for me.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: Binochular choice.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:19:51 pm »
not a clue matt but for me they would need to be light  pack small and powerful as Im as blind as a bat.i would be interested in what you get  good idea on tour. ;)

anto.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:35:41 pm »
not a clue matt but for me they would need to be light  pack small and powerful as Im as blind as a bat.i would be interested in what you get  good idea on tour. ;)

anto.

The size lens is 8x21

Quite small and light.
Always a balance between size and magnigication.
I'm no expeert ( so would appreciate others views) but before I bought them I stood outside the shop with 2 other sizes before choosing.
In the end I went for the smallest and lightest.
I'm no bird spotter/twitcher but would like to see what hills are ahead of me.

Anyone else carry a pair on tour?

useful link here
http://procular.co.uk/how-to-choose-binoculars/?gclid=CjwKEAiA2OzDBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdil6hu8NiNloBAUYlUMXnu011i9E3moZhjw7kW5oXznhoCmCzw_wcB
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:57:11 pm »
I have a pair of Bausch & Lomb 8x20 that I bought in REI in Anchorage in 1992 at the end of my tour over there, and are still in good condition.
Don't always take them on tour but they can be good if wildlife is likely and useful sometimes for looking for campsites.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »
It's a pity opera glasses, which fold flat enough not make a bulge in the pocket of a penguin suit or a lady's smart evening bag and don't weigh enough to deform either, don't go up to really high powers.

That said, though I have a small collection of opera glasses both recent and vintage, when I want binoculars on my bike, I take the smaller of the twitcher's glasses which hang over a chair in our living room for looking out onto the birds that live the trees in the patio between the living room and the stables sun trap. They're just more convenient in their sturdy leather case and they work better in sunlight. As you can tell, I don't care about weight on day trips, but if I were taking your tours, Matt, I'd surely not want to lug around a couple of pounds of glass and metal and ditto leather.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:34:13 pm by Andre Jute »