Author Topic: night rider  (Read 3729 times)

jags

night rider
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »
Got a good 30km on the  Audax tonight
only problem my right foot was sore, going to adjust the cleats again  hopefully that will do the trick.
the lights are  great ,i added a good quality torch on the rear stays pointed down to the cassette  worked  fantastic  besides showing me what gear i was in it lit up the road  cars gave me a wide berth  ;),
i have a long way to go to get fit thats only my second spin in 5 weeks so need to get the miles in.

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: night rider
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:31:07 am »
i added a good quality torch on the rear stays pointed down to the cassette  worked  fantastic  besides showing me what gear i was in it lit up the road  cars gave me a wide berth  ;)
...with photos to prove it!  ;)

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »
Never seen anyone with this set up before .lads if u ride at night worth doing

jags

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
thanks for posting the photos Dan.

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »
Not sure about the legality of a rearward facing white light?
And why do you need to be able to see your cassette anyway?

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »
don't think i'd be breaking the law Rual it points to the ground .
i don't fancy cross  gears like to know im in the right gear all the time  especially riding a triple chainset .to be sure to be sure  ;)

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »
Never seen anyone with this set up before .lads if u ride at night worth doing

I think I know why you have never seen anybody with this setup before.  When I am out cycling in the dark I generally prefer to see where I am going instead of where I have already been.

bobs

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:40 pm »
Not sure about the legality of a rearward facing white light?
And why do you need to be able to see your cassette anyway?

I'm with Rural with that one.

Bob

jags

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:12:31 pm »
well you guys are on rohloff hubs if im not mistaken  so cross gearing is not an issue,  about the only good thing about rohloff i reckon.  im going to ask a cop that cycles in the group if this set up is illegal i doubt it very much. as i said the light is pointing directly to the ground so doesn't annoy drivers .
i had plenty cars pass me last night everyone of them gave me loads room and not one sounded there horn  so it works.
to be honest i would use this set up every time i ride in the night well until a cop pulls me over and tells me i can't ;)

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09:40 pm »
Yeah, you need a Rohloff.

Regarding cross chaining, I use bar end shifters on most of my derailleur bikes.  Just putting my hand on it gives me the feedback I need from feel of the lever position to know if the chain is on the smallest sprockets, the biggest sprockets or somewhere in between. 

jags

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »
Each to there own still has served me well since first they came  out.

Bill C

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
Anto
 i use barcons so get the feedback of gear i'm in from them
your rear white light if you got some black plastic rolled it in a tube and taped that around the torch you could just light up your cassette and cut out most of the the light spill, failing that put some red film over it, a tin of Quality street might do, treat the Mrs n keep the wrappers  ;)

or just get a Petzl
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:02:14 pm by Bill C »

Javier

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »
For years I have been commuting in Scotland in the dark and in winter, I should not say that in Scotland "sometimes" rain. With this combination of factors, riding in town, your tail red light (no matter how good it is, fixed or flashing) is just another red point within a myriad of other tail red lights of moving cars and red reflectors of parked cars, that drivers see with difficulty when the rain hits their windscreens. So even knowing that it was not legal I was commuting in the dark with an extra white flashing light (Petzl) attached at the back of my helmet and pointing backwards (besides the legal front white and fixed red tail lights, plus an illegal flashing tail red light). The helmet white flashing light facing backward was a real safety bonus, as it stood out of all red lights. Sometimes in crossings I switched the front light to strobe mode, drivers were not happy. I was/am selfish, my safety first, but I do not think that this configuration of lights can cause any accident to motor drivers, and being a driver too, I would not blame any cyclist that for their own safety is using an illegal but reasonable set of lights
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:40:26 pm by Javier »

Bill C

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:50 pm »
Anto
if you don't have petzl or decent headtorch/lamp, start hinting about now for next christmas, give it plenty of time to sink in
i have the tactikka plus but only because it did both red or white constant or strobe without needing filters (there's probably better out there but it wasn't something i wanted to research)
brilliant for camping and for night repairs (dont want to say the punc word) also can be used as back up for failed front or rear light, you can still travel at a reasonable pace using it as your only light source on the higher settings on unlit roads,
pretty good for dog owners, though you run the risk of being mistaken for someone going equipped  :-[ still they saw the dog and my hand in a plastic bag and laughed