Author Topic: Neat fitting of SKS chromoplastic mudguards to Thorn rear rack pannier  (Read 2638 times)

Javier

When I had to install SKS chromoplastic mudguards to my Nomad, which was fitted with a rear Thorn pannier rack, I looked at many pictures in the web and I did not like how the stainless steel wires of the mudguards were attached to the pannier rack. So I came with my own fitting design, which I think is superior, more robust and very aesthetic (pictures attached). It uses the wires provided with the SKS mudguards and only required some precise bends at the right points. It takes less wire length that the typical fitting, so there is less room for vibrations.
Make a template with a steel wire, so you do not mess up the stainless steel wire provided. Once you are happy with the template transfer the pattern to the stainless steel wire. It is a bit tricky to get the precise angles in the right points as there is no much run for mistakes. Please note that two types of bends are needed, one at the wire eyelet where attaches to the rack, another close to the metal bracket that is riveted to the mudguard. A vice will make the job easier. Mudguards of different widths required different angles. I have two mudguards, one for Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 1.6” and other for Marathon Mondial 2.15” tyres, and both have been fitted with different angles.
It takes a while to get then nice and symmetric but it is worth and no problems for almost 4 years by now.
My apologies if I am replicating something that was already described out there, but I thought someone could be interested.

jags

Re: Neat fitting of SKS chromoplastic mudguards to Thorn rear rack pannier
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:53:20 pm »
very clever but tricky as hell to get right i bet ;)

jags.

dhmpap

• Biboo
Re: Neat fitting of SKS chromoplastic mudguards to Thorn rear rack pannier
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:26 am »
Tried it twice and couldn't get it right  -it seemed easy at first but couldnt find an equilibrium from both sides :-[
Passionate about ebikes

ridgeback63

You have done a good job there Javier