Author Topic: Good cycle computer needed  (Read 4304 times)

jags

Good cycle computer needed
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:51:09 pm »
Good cycling computer with big screen that works and doesn't,t cost a fortune.I need one for the audax any recommendations lads .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Good cycle computer needed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:15:57 pm »
I prefer wired computers, as they have proved more reliable and problem-free in my use than wireless.

Given that, it is no surprise I prefer wired computers with a robust wire that is unlikely to tear, crimp, or split. The head unit also has to be waterproof and the spoke magnet should also be robust and made of metal, not plastic.

One that ticks all the boxes for me is the Planet Bike Protege 9.0. It has a large screen easily visible even in low light, is proven waterproof, and has no external buttons (the head unit shields the contacts from water and slides on the mount to select different modes).

It does have one very annoying flaw if you ride lots: The average speed is calculated on a 10-hour timebase, so any rides longer than 10 hours show an Error reading instead of average speed. This is a huge disappointment on a 17-27 hour day ride. Otherwise, it works well and reliably and can be found here in the US for as little as USD$24.

Best
Dan.

bobs

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:54 pm »
Cateye Strada,  wireless but very reliable.

Bob

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »
Cateye Strada,  wireless but very reliable.

Bob
I'll second that. I went for a second one when the first expired.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 08:11:18 pm »
thanks guys much appreciated.i have the polar cad200 on my dolan  its a  chore to fix it to the bike so i'll just buy a new computer for the audax .

anto.

ají

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:46 am »
garmin edge 500.

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 03:31:21 pm »
nice aji but way out of my price range .

bikerta

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »
Hi Jags,

Good to see you have your Audax all finished. Looks fantastic and I hope you are able to get lots of miles put on it.

Are you just looking for a basic computer to record distance, average speed etc. or one with gps. I have the cateye velo on my Sherpa (the wireless one) and I have had none of the problems of them losing signal. It was brilliant on my JOGLE apart from the annoying fact that 1,000 is its maximum, so when I reached 1,000 miles on my trip it went back to zero.

The other slight fault with it is when you have to change the battery, it loses all the stored miles, so remember to write down the distances covered before you take the battery out.   

jags

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 07:39:58 pm »
thanks Jackie i want one with cadence but there pricy.
 i might just take the one off my road bike  because i wont be using it until summer ,but it's a pain to fit ,this ould cycling lark is expensive  ;D ;D the gear thats out there is fantastic tho love to buy a really good gps system would be brilliant for any touring i care to take on .im one of these fellas that has no sense of direction get lost in a carpark  ::)
but i have a good mouth on me  asking for directions doesn't bother me in the slightest ;D ;D
still i love gadgets .
well done on your epic lejog btw did you even post photos on that trip.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:04:40 pm »
Anto,

You can gain much of the functionality of a dedicated GPS if you download and install a gps-enabled app and maps for your smartphone.

A number of these are free of charge. Even if you don't have your phone mounted to the stem or 'bars, you could always take it out of your jersey pocket to check on your location.

Some of the nicer apps even include voice prompts for routing and also tracking with waypoints.

My favorite (for Android phones) is OSMAnd. Other good ones I use are MapsMe, BikeMap, Sygic, and MyPaths. I often equip my devices with Russian military maps, but OpenStreetMaps/OpenFietsMaps are now good for most applications and should work fine for Ireland.

Might get you by until Santa brings a dedicated GPS.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:14:12 pm »
Dan i have map my ride and osmand. but they dont do speed  unless  you have a sensor ,i used it the other night i was out pretty good. im thinking of heading out shortly all the lights fitted  wrap up well and head for the country lanes  ;)

anto
i posted a photo on  facebook .

Pavel

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:34 am »
use your iPhone ... or one of the lesser phones out there.  Garmins are overpriced items, close to junk quality, with a propensity to failure ( I've had five go wonkers in six years - never again) and you already have a smart phone, I suspect, so why spend more?

ají

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:57:53 am »
something like this

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
Anto,
I can echo Dan's recommendation of Maps.Me and also CycleStreets which is based on OpenCycleMaps. You can also use Google Maps, set up for cycling.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:53 pm »
My cycle computer is a Boardman Wireless Computer. Got it from Halfords. I'm afraid I can't remember what I paid for it but it can't have been dear because I'm permanently skint. It does all the usual things including cadence (and yes it does have a metal spoke magnet). It also has the option of being transferable between two bikes. The display is large enough and clear enough for me to see and my near sight is poor.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!