Author Topic: how to de mist headlights advice.  (Read 1864 times)

jags

how to de mist headlights advice.
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:40:50 pm »
my feckin car failed the nct test today man what a scam55 euro down the drain 28 to get it retested.
it failed on misty headlights ,took it to a mechanic he relined the lights said they were spot on excuse the pun  ::) he even polished them but still misty in side anyone got any ideas as to how i could fix them myself.

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: how to de mist headlights advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:50 pm »
I see your mechanic has polished the outside of the headlights to remove haze due to UV degradation of the plastic coating.

If misty inside, it is caused by condensed water vapor and means the seals are leaking. I've cleared some by removing the bulb and any rubber seals and allowing the light to sit overnight till the moisture clears. You can hurry the process by directing a hair dryer on low or no heat into the back opening where the bulb normally lives.

Afterwards, you can use a flowable clear silicone caulk to seal the seam between lens and reflector body. This usually cures the problem.

This may get you past the MOT/NCT, but it also means you will really need to replace the headlights if they don't remain clear after all these efforts...for safety because misty ones won't allow you to see very far.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:20:50 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »
Thanks Dan I'll try that its booked in again for next Tuesday the government sold out this money scam to some Spanish company pure scam honest to god since the last nct we didn't put more than five hundred miles on the car  mostly used for shopping .
Unit

energyman

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:17:54 am »
My B&M Headlight had condensation on the inside of the lens which has now turned into brown spots (Algae ?)
No fear of a Gov test on a bike :)
YET !

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:59 am »
true enough but we need the car mores the pity ,guy i got was just a jobsworth  had to get his quota for the day  money racket same nct.
ah well going to a buddys house later to see if we can fix them mechanic said they were perfect so just need to polish the lenses . :'(