Author Topic: Thorns I have owned  (Read 9617 times)

bobs

Re: Thorns I have owned
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:13 am »
No all frames have been great. Just change for changes sake. Just enjoy building up bikes, I'm not alone there.

Bob

jul

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 11:33:11 am »
Bob, what can you say about feeling between the Nomad and The Raven Tour frame ? is there a real difference ?

jags

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 11:58:12 am »
I sold my class Sherpa because I was broke what can I tellyou  :'( :'( sold the audax  to big now I have the right size audax and I'm well pleased .there good bikes end of story.

ají

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:51 pm »
I sold my class Sherpa because I was broke what can I tellyou  :'( :'( sold the audax  to big now I have the right size audax and I'm well pleased .there good bikes end of story.

I hear you Anto

bobs

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:18 pm »
Bob, what can you say about feeling between the Nomad and The Raven Tour frame ? is there a real difference ?

There is no real difference in the ride. The top tube slopes slightly which i prefer also its designed for an Ex box.

Bob

jags

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »

I hear you Anto

;) ;) story of my life  ;D

ají

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 06:28:54 am »
No all frames have been great. Just change for changes sake. Just enjoy building up bikes, I'm not alone there.

Bob

martinf

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 05:02:34 pm »
I currently have 3 Thorns.

My 2012 Raven Tour with Rohloff hub and drop bars:

replaced my modified old steel mountain-bike as "heavy tourer":

I built up my 2014 Raven Tour frame as an 8-speed hub geared utility bike:

to replace my very old 5-speed hub geared 650B:

I built up my 2016 Raven Sport Tour frame as a fairly light road-going bike with Rohloff hub and drop bars:

to replace my 1977 lightweight 700C tourer. No photos of the latter, it is currently in bits for a major overhaul.

I still have the old bikes. The old steel mountain-bike is now used as a "visitor bike", with sit-up-and-beg bars and a 7-speed hub gear.

I often take my old 5-speed hub geared 650B to work, where I use it on paths and other moderate off-road situations for survey work. No qualms about locking and leaving it.

When I have finished the overhaul I shall probably keep the 700C tourer for occasional use in good weather, it is the only pure derailleur bike I have left (one of the Bromptons has a two-speed derailleur combined with a 5-speed hub gear).

There is another "visitor bike", a lady's frame with sit-up-and-beg bars and a 3-speed hub gear.

In addition to that lot, I also have two Bromptons, one used very regularly for train-assisted commuting, the other used for longer tours when I combine cycling with other transport.

My wife has a lady's frame 650B bike with sit-up-and-beg bars and an 8-speed hub gear, plus a Brompton.

And, finally, my old two-wheel trailer.

So a total of 11 bikes and a trailer in the family, but no car, though I do hire cars and vans when necessary.

ají

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 07:56:15 am »
that's quite a stable, martinf!

jags

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Sure  8)is

Pavel

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:27 am »
I currently have 3 Thorns.

My 2012 Raven Tour with Rohloff hub and drop bars:

replaced my modified old steel mountain-bike as "heavy tourer":

I built up my 2014 Raven Tour frame as an 8-speed hub geared utility bike:

to replace my very old 5-speed hub geared 650B:

I built up my 2016 Raven Sport Tour frame as a fairly light road-going bike with Rohloff hub and drop bars:

to replace my 1977 lightweight 700C tourer. No photos of the latter, it is currently in bits for a major overhaul.

I still have the old bikes. The old steel mountain-bike is now used as a "visitor bike", with sit-up-and-beg bars and a 7-speed hub gear.

I often take my old 5-speed hub geared 650B to work, where I use it on paths and other moderate off-road situations for survey work. No qualms about locking and leaving it.

When I have finished the overhaul I shall probably keep the 700C tourer for occasional use in good weather, it is the only pure derailleur bike I have left (one of the Bromptons has a two-speed derailleur combined with a 5-speed hub gear).

There is another "visitor bike", a lady's frame with sit-up-and-beg bars and a 3-speed hub gear.

In addition to that lot, I also have two Bromptons, one used very regularly for train-assisted commuting, the other used for longer tours when I combine cycling with other transport.

My wife has a lady's frame 650B bike with sit-up-and-beg bars and an 8-speed hub gear, plus a Brompton.

And, finally, my old two-wheel trailer.

So a total of 11 bikes and a trailer in the family, but no car, though I do hire cars and vans when necessary.

You must enjoy visits ... and the visitors your bike!