Author Topic: Indoor cycling training - where to start with it?  (Read 2884 times)

jack_kos

Indoor cycling training - where to start with it?
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:20:18 am »
Hey, anyone here have any experience on indoor cycling? There is a plan to start with training but don't know where and with who :( yup, there is some lists like this: https://zoptamo.com/uk/s-indoor_cycling-c-uk but you know - dont believe in polls or ratings. So anyone can give any advices on choosing right place to train?

mickeg

Re: Indoor cycling training - where to start with it?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »
I really am not sure what your question is. 

I live in northern part of USA, most of winter is a really bad time to cycle outdoors.  Yesterday we had freezing rain most of the day, the wind is howling today and it is about 5 to 10 degrees C below.  I do have studded tires on my Nomad for winter riding, but there are a lot of days that outdoor riding in winter would just be out of the question.

So I usually spend 3 sessions a week, one hour at a time at a health club on an exercise bike.  Plan to do that later today.  I e-mailed to myself a bunch of news articles that I can read later on a 7 inch android tablet while on the exercise bike.  I use a heart rate monitor, usually try to get my heart rate up to about where it is when I cycle for exercise.

I also have a bike on an indoor trainer.  That I sometimes use at home for exercise.
https://kurtkinetic.com/products/kinetic-magnetic/

The indoor bike, it is an old mixte frame bike that a neighbor put in the garbage, I recovered it, re-greased the rear hub and bottom bracket (which also needed new ball bearings), and did a few other tweaks, that is my indoor trainer bike at home.  I put a different saddle on it, different pedals, might have put a new chain on it.  Nice setup and the price was right.

There are indoor spin classes at some health clubs, I have never participated in one of those.  I think there also are internet spin classes too but I have no interest in that.

I am not a racer or competitive cyclist, I just do this for exercise.

julk

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:26 am »
jack,
A stationary exercise bike is a good way of getting some miles in your legs, either at the gym or in your house where you can watch tv or listen to music at the same time.

For a really good workout use a bike indoors on rollers - this is much more intensive and will soon have the sweat dripping off you.
Start off in a doorway for support to get used to riding on rollers.
For myself I bought a cheap secondhand road bike and put roller tyres on it, ordinary tyres will wear out sooner on rollers.
julian

jack_kos

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:55:34 am »
This seems to be nice idea to get one at home, better than buying a fitness club with indoor cycling card :D Thanks guys :)

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:24:36 am »
be sure to put a towel on the top tube your going to sweat like a horse  ;D

have fun,

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »
be sure to put a towel on the top tube your going to sweat like a horse
...and the possibilities for top tube corrosion are simply unbelievable!  :o

I've replaced brazed-on cable guides for people whose sweat literally melted them away.

That said, rollers sure do provide a good workout. Build bike-handling skills, too.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
you would be better off doing a bit of skipping best off the bike training,  swimming is also great if u can swim that is , The rollers or turbo is to much like torture better than nothing i suppose  but not for me i done a lot of it years ago  never again.

jags.