Author Topic: Annoying and mysterious sound found after 3 years  (Read 3288 times)

Javier

Annoying and mysterious sound found after 3 years
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »
Proud owner of a Nomad MK2 for 3.5 years. During this time I have learnt to identify the sources of clicking, squeaking, grinding, cheeping, squealing ... and other annoying sounds that from time to time have driven me crazy. This has been possible to many of the helpful posts of this forum and the plethora of information in the web. But I have to confess that it took me 3 years to find out the source of a tap-tap-tap...tap that appeared and disappeared for short or long periods without no apparent reasons.
To make the story short: I managed to limit the source of the culprit to the top part of the bike, probably the origin was the vibration of the brake or Rohloff shifter cables against the headset or frame. That is what I thought as the noise stopped when I grabbed the cables and the tap-tap-tap came back when I released them, but this not always worked and I could not see where the cables were vibrating against. Anyway, once upon a time a sunny day I realised that the tap-tap-tap came from my bone-carving pendant hitting the slider of my short-sleeve jersey zipper, and this just happened when the jersey was half open, the road was rough and my cycling position was aggressive, quite a difficult combination of factors to figure out what was going on. It never crossed my mind and I never found a post in the web that pointed to the cyclist as the source of the annoying noises.
Anyway, I thought it was worth to post my experience in case it can help someone out there.

mickeg

Re: Annoying and mysterious sound found after 3 years
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
Fortunately it only took a couple hours on my foldup bike to realize that the steady clicking noise with each pedal stroke was a key in my pocket taping on the multi-tool in my pocket.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:00 pm »
 ;D ;D that's a classic  .
didn't VW have an add on the telly years ago strange noise  inside the car    it was the keyring  in the ignition  ;D

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:24 pm »
Here's a good un.
A soft click from the front wheel on every revolution.
Turned out to be part of the reflective strip from the wall of my Marathon tire had pealed away.
I short length maybe 5 cm was hitting the brake pad.
Took me ages to suss it out.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »
Nice attention to detail, Matt :-)  Glad you were rewarded!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:56:06 am »
...Took me ages to suss it out....
Excellent, Matt!

Now, we all want to know: Did you glue it back, rip it off, or cut it? <or simply leave it now you know what it is>?  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 06:26:36 am »
I took a surgical scalpel to it.

Glue?
I'd read a really good book on that subject.
I couldn't put it down.
😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
I had a click with each rotation of the front wheel yesterday.  Stopped to check computer magnet, guards etc without joy.  When I got home I noticed a snail had hitched a rid on the inside of the forks!

bobs

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:05 pm »
You must have been going very slow at the time.  ;D

geocycle

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »
You must have been going very slow at the time.  ;D

As always!!! ;D