Author Topic: Phone application road maps  (Read 4175 times)

jul

Phone application road maps
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
Hi all,

I found some phone application for use in off wifi as

Maps.me
OsmAnd

Do you know them? or others could be fine too ?

j-ms

Re: Phone application road maps
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:50:37 pm »
I use the Android version of MapFactor Navigator which uses Open Street Maps as the base map.  It is free and provides offline navigation.  Great where there is no 3G connection.

Rgds
Jean-Marc

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:18 pm »
There are lots and lots of GPS mapping apps out there.  Instead of trying to learn the latest and greatest, I use the ones I used five years ago on my Android devices.

- Maps.me.  They changed the name a few years ago, used to be called Maps With Me and they had both a free and paid version.  I bought the paid version but I think it now is only free.  Older versions allowed a large bulk download of maps, but the latest version did not appear to do that anymore.  Now instead of selecting a state and telling it to download the entire state, with my tablet it would only download the maps if I moved the map on the screen in a fairly close setting to download parts of states.  This app is for car travel, bike paths not shown.  Has routing.   The maps it loads now take up a lot more memory than the maps I loaded several years ago, perhaps that is why I could no longer do a bulk download.

- Soviet Military Maps.  It has several different layers, I use the Open Streets Cycle layer which has topographic contours in metric units.  The paid version allows a bulk download of maps.  And on the bulk download you could set the resolution you wanted for detailed (close in) scales.  This can keep a track or load a track in GPX format.

I only use these for planning, as my screen or tablet has a bigger screen than my dedicated GPS.  I do not have a sim card in my phone, so I can only load maps when I have wifi.  I often would load in the area where I intend to go while I was still at home, then when I got to the location I already had all that I needed.

There are several others out there too, but I am content to live in the past.

I also have an automotive type GPS for my truck, so I rarely use these Android apps.

bobs

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:34 pm »
Just downloaded OsmAnd and it looks  good.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:33:07 am »
I have used PocketEarth Pro on tour and love it. Its Open Street and Cycle Map based. Cycle setting shows you the bike routes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:34:43 am by StuntPilot »

DAntrim

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:57:28 pm »
I use Maps.me on my Andriod devices, as Mickeg said used to be Map With Me with a paid version. Maps downloads have now been split on a country / region basis - 18 for the UK. They have plenty of detail and quickly zoom in / out.  My only criticism would be for mapping routes on the go best to do this on the web and export route to a  kml file then import into the app.