Author Topic: Scotland  (Read 10639 times)

jags

Scotland
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:39:16 pm »
Love to do a bit of touring in bonny Scotland.is there a circular route I could do three or four days nice cycling no epic climbs great scenery quiet roads camping all the way can't afford
BnB ,any thoughts lads thanks.

Anto.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:06:37 am by jags »

rualexander

Re: Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:45:07 am »
Plenty of good routes jags, a lot would depend on how you are getting here and where you are arriving?
If you are coming by boat from Belfast/Larne then you could do a nice route around Galloway and the borders.
If you are flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh, you'll probably be looking at taking a train somewhere.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 01:14:34 pm »
Thanks Rual  belfast /larne would be the start .
only dreaming at the moment have to save the pennies .
yeah always fancied doing a short tour scotland  looks magic cycling country.
what map would i need to buy for that trip.if ever i get this audax up and running i would be using  28 slicks so not looking to do any rough stuff  smooth tarmac on quiet roads  ;)

anto
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:27:05 pm by jags »

julk

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
anto,
KM Rally is Friday 26th May to Monday 29th May based at Barnsoul camp site 7 miles west of Dumfries.
A great way to experience the area by bike with 3 led rides available each day, short medium and long.
Cooked meal available in the evenings at Shawhead village hall with lots of cyclists chat and fun.
It is not free, but the rally charges are very reasonable, evening meals are extra (but fantastic) and camping charges are levied by the camp site.
Information here http://www.cyclinguk.org/local-groups/news/kirkpatrick-macmillan-cycle-rally-km177-2017
I am booked in - see you there?
julian.

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
Thanks Julian sounds fantastic love to do it.im supposed to be doing ireland  sometime this year with a lad from the uk but nothing set in stone so scotland sounds like a plan to me ,thanks a million for the info much appreciated.

anto.

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:24:51 pm »
just posted the link on me facebook page see if anyone interested in doing it with me, doubt it to be honest there all roadies but sure you never know i might land a catch . ;)

anto.

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
Hi Anto, Have a good look at this site.

http://cycle.travel/
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:19 am »
thanks Andy will do.

anto.
good site that Andy .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:31:23 pm by jags »

jags

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:07 am »
larne to Cairnryan what would be the the best route to Dumfries to the cycle rally.distance best quiet route  thanks guys.

anto.

http://cycle.travel/map?from=Cairnryan&to=Dumfries&fromLL=54.9748082,-5.0245594&toLL=55.0699746,-3.6095639.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:30:43 pm by jags »

julk

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:29:11 pm »
anto,
the KM Rally link I gave earlier has an e-mail contact on the page for Mike Gray.
I would put your question to him about the best quiet route from Cairnryan.
Given the hills in the area it may be best to ride the main road at a quiet time.
julian.

jags

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
Julian you said nothing about hills  :-\ :'( ;D
to be honest if my training plans go according to plan the hills wont bother me,seriously don't want to cycle on main roads not my idea of fun, i avoid the main roads here as well i know every back road in my county,
anyway i'll email that lad see if he can find a good route,
hopefully i'll make it over great if the lads here made a good weekend of it you guys (uk) wouldn't have as far to travel as me  ;)
thanks julk.

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:24:05 pm »
Jags, your proposed route looks ok to me, the main thing is to avoid the A75.
The A712 which you have on your route between Newton Stewart and New Galloway shouldn't be too bad, the rest of the route is on minor roads which should be nice and quiet.
An alternative, but longer route would be to follow the National Cycle Network routes, NCN 73 from Stranraer to Newton Stewart then NCN 7 from there to Dumfries (you would cut off before Dumfries though, to get to Barnsoul).
See https://www.opencyclemap.org/ for these routes.
Following NCN routes can often be a bit infuriating though, unless you have it programmed into a gps device telling you where to go at junctions.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:11:44 pm »
Jag's, I lived near New Galloway for 18 years.
The roads have heavy lorries carrying wood running up and down between Ayr and Carlisle.
When I cycled from home up to Oban or Fort William the first stretch to Ayr was the worst.

Let me know if you carry on with your plans.
Most pleased to help out although I'm across country in Aberdeenshire at the moment.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 07:43:21 pm »
thanks lads  nothing set in stone yet but no harm in having  some kind of tour in mind.
A roads are a no go area for this ould bird just no fun in it .
i haven't heard a word from my friend in the UK on the Irish tour he just emailed me asking if i was interested in doing parts of Ireland i said yes but that's as far as it went  :o.
i have a few trips planned for  northern Ireland , overnighters  is not a bad way for me cheap and cheerful .

jags

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 10:49:06 pm »
anto,
the KM Rally link I gave earlier has an e-mail contact on the page for Mike Gray.
I would put your question to him about the best quiet route from Cairnryan.
Given the hills in the area it may be best to ride the main road at a quiet time.
julian.
just had an email from that lad seems like a right gentleman thanks Julian.