Author Topic: Congratulations and thanks to John Saxby, newest Hero Member!  (Read 5784 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Congratulations and thanks to John Saxby, newest Hero Member!
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:54 pm »
Hi All!

Though the member tiers were reset to their default values when the Forum software was upgraded, John Saxby qualifies as our newest Hero Member under the old system due to his 1000th post.

All congratulations, John, and thanks for your many contributions, all made in good heart and good cheer, helpful to many. It is a pleasure having you aboard and I'm hoping the cold, snowy weather in your part of Canada will soon abate so you can favor us with more photos of the Madawaska Highlands touring you do so love. Take care!

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

Re: Congratulations and thanks to John Saxby, newest Hero Member!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:33:41 pm »
Thanks, Dan -- jeez, I wasn't counting, so it's a wee surprise.  It's my great pleasure to be part of -- to borrow a phrase from a few days ago -- this very civilized corner of the internet. Thank you all for your forbearance with my bad puns.

There'll be more photos of the Madawaska Highlands in a few months' time, after the snow has cleared and the black flies have relented.

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:33 pm »
Well done john I enjoy your posts always good humoured.
G

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 09:58:33 pm »
Congratulations, John!

Thank you all for your forbearance with my bad puns.

Speaking as one punster to another, I can truthfully say that there is no such thing as a "bad pun". ;)

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:30 pm »
A have a weakness for puns, but found something even better in the "language" embodied in Willian Steig's _CDB!_ book, a favorite for children of all ages first published in 1968.  Steig was _New Yorker_ magazine's longest-running contributor and cartoonist. He got his start by supporting his family in the Great Depression by penning funny drawings he sold on street corners. In a 1987 interview at age 89, he said, "I don't care how I'm remembered because I won't be there to enjoy it".

In _CDB!_, letters are phonetically sounded to substitute for words. For more complex words, letters are joined by hyphens and sounded consecutively. The cartoons and situations are charming and most comprise visual puns.

One of my favorite scenes from the book shows a little boy with a nail, a box, and a board, saying, "O 4 A 2-L". A little girl in the background helpfully offers, "E-R S A M-R".

In another, a little boy leans sleepily against a tree and tells his friend, "I F-N N-E N-R-G".

A little boy looks through the knothole in a fence and declares, "I M C-N U!", to which his neighbor replies, "N-D U R. U R P-K-N!"

I feel sure my Pee-Aitch-Dee has been enhanced considerably by reading it and the book brings such childish and childlike cheer, I can't bear to part with it after so many years. If you can find a copy -- and enjoy puns and word-games -- get it! You won't regret it. The ISBN number is 0-671-66689-4

Even *better* than puns. I'll go quietly now....

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:25 pm »
Those are pretty good, Dan.  I'll see if I can find a copy for our granddaughters in Queensland.

My favourite is from a Canadian politician, of all sources:  Ed Broadbent, formerly leader of the New Democratic Party, managed a trilingual one which also had a nice bit of self-mocking humour, when he remarked that the Canadian left was more gauche than sinister.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:29 am »
You've always been my hero, John, for your good humor and wide experience, and of course for your handsome looks and athletic feats on your bicycles and skis. Congratulations on achieving formal recognition.

ají

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:04:51 am »
good work John keep up the good work!

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:24 am »
It's guys like yourself John that make this a pleasant place to spend time reading about other peoples experiences. And as you are always willing to assist with others queries/problems, this is well deserved recognition.

Regards Alfie  8)

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 09:24:20 pm »
Aw, shucks (he said, eyes downcast, scuffing the ground with his toe.)

Better this than Warhol's 15 minutes of fame any day -- thanks, all.

jags

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
 ;D ;D very good.

richard s

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:15:31 am »
That is brilliant.
It actually applies right now in Britain.

Richard

Pavel

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Is it not tradition that all new Hero Members buy a pint for each one of the rest of us - at least on the same continent? Or perhaps we can take this as a fine time to start a grand tradition. I'm in North Carolina, so I figure John should be here in about two and a half months if that bit of Canadian weather does not delay him.  Then off to Jags next ... John will really get to see America.

jags

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 07:44:45 pm »
im not a drinker but if u want a pint i will certainly buy no problem.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
Well done John!

Mike