Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85222 times)

macspud

Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2017, 12:40:03 am »
Yesterday as we returned from our ride my companion noted that my shirt had lots of midges on it. They're a curse this time of the year if you converse while riding. He didn't have any on him. I suspect he's a secret gin drinker...

I could tell you exactly why, if you'd like to know?  ;-)

Go on then.

Sorry about  the  delay,

Not what I'd planned at all. Computer had a stroke, then a cardiac event, then swamped, then berevement, followed by an excellent festive wake, followed by the mother of all hangovers, followed by too many wonderous opertunities, a smattering of love, more lust & life {;-)}, now my keyboard has died.... I wrote and posted the answer four times  already but it fails every time.

Andre if you  really want  to know all  the answers, give me a PM, I'll find a totally different route to tell you....

Many things are  not for general consumption yet......

Be careful

All the Best .

Love  & Peace

;-)

Always..

Aye

Iain.

X

:-)       

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2017, 12:59:41 am »
^^^ Iain gets my vote for best brief tour summary for the year to date.

Best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:37 am »

Best,

Dan.

;-}
 ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2017, 11:02:06 am »

+1

lewis noble

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
We (my wife Dilys and I) recently rode over Bealach an Ba, Scotland, on a 10 day walking / cycling / campervan trip to N W Scotland.  I have been wanting to attempt this for a while, so we parked up at the Wee Campsite in Lochcarron, and headed off to explore.

Background - both of us 70 yrs, I am a 'returning' rather than a lifelong cyclist, riding a Sherpa 530S with straight bars.  Lightweight components, bike totals about 12.5 kg all included. Dodgy knees which work fine 95% of the time then 'give way' . . .  Dilys rides a £300 Ridgeback, v upright, can't understand why anyone would pay more for a bike.  I haven't told her that my wheels cost more than her bike . . Higher geared than the Sherpa, but lower gears than most cheap hybrids.  Her cadence is around 30 - she is a veteran rower, 30 strokes per min is pretty well full throttle for them.

The first day, we walked and rode a bit, deciding on a 'warm up' day.  In the afternoon, we went to the bottom of the pass (Kishorn) and pedalled up to have a look . . . and as the weather was reasonable, just kept going.  So we went up the 2053 feet by accident as it were!  Only half way up did I remember that I was carrying 2 days food shopping including potatoes -probably around 1.5 kg.  Not that much, but could have done without it . . .

The gradient steepens, with hairpins, near the end, gets to 20+%.  I got pretty well all the way up riding, hindered as much by the motorhomes (often rented, so probably inexperienced drivers 'having a go') as much as the hairpins and gradients.  We both got up, Dilys probably walking a bit more nearer the top than me.

We were really pleased with our achievement.  No pictures, I'm afraid, the weather, ok until we got to the top, closed in and the rain poured down on the descent - we returned the way we had come.  Despite following the Thorn advice about intermittent braking (hard on a long 20% descent!) the rims got pretty hot, cooled a bit perhaps by the spray and rain.  Thinking about the braking post started by Andre, my brakes are XT, Koolstop dual compound pads, DT Swiss rims.  Worked fine in the wet, never any concern about braking.

So, not bad for an 'accidental' ascent of a major hill!! Later on, we rode some of the Applecross coast road, round the Stoer peninsula etc - some beautiful weather later.

Best wishes everyone

Lewis - Sheffield

silverdorking

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »
Wow Lewis, salutations to you both, King and Queen of the mountain, all-be-it inadvertently! Think what you might have done with 25kg of King Edwards in your pannier. I personally prefer an energy bar but then I'm a studious avoider of hills, currently touring in the English Lake District, seeking out the flattest route possible! Last year I took a sneaky squint at the lower reaches Mont Ventoux from where I was camping at Sault, then remembered I had a plane to catch at Nice!
Love to do some cycling along the West Coast of Scotland, really enjoyed a 'flat as a pancake' route through the Western Isles. How do you think I'd get on in Wester Ross, would my hill avoidance strategy meet a brick wall and how were the wee beasties?
Best wishes Andrew

rualexander

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:28 pm »
We had a good run round Tinto Hill in south central Scotland today, summer is here!

Andre Jute

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
Hottest day of year. Very glad of the overhead protection. The green and beloved isle is — well, green and beloved. Love that balcony over the little stream, barely seen in the third shot down.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:18:43 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:47 pm »
More green and beloved isle. The nodding madonna isn't some literary fancy. She's a real statue which, by a trick of light according to a fellow Irish Examiner contributor, nods her head. She stands in a village nearby, but by the time I remembered that the more religious among you might like to venerate at least a photo, I was several miles past. Such wonders are so common here that we forget to photograph them... honest.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:19:44 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2017, 01:32:15 am »
Cycling the lacework of lanes in West Cork, discovering Red Spider Mites

After more than a quarter century cycling the lacework of lanes around my house in West Cork, I still don’t know them all, or even the majority. Here’s a lane my pedalpal Philip remembers from the days when GPs still made house calls, on which we cycled for the first time today, looking for a shortcut from the pub at Newcestown to Baxter’s Bridge so we could come home via the Golf Club. Not all of this lane is this civilized; parts of it are decidedly rough and overgrown. You’re not lost if you can follow the telephone poles!

You can also get a whole education in the flora and fauna in the lanes, simply by keeping your eyes open. These tiny Red Spider Mites are too small to see from a moving bike, less than a millimeter across. This photo is probably 60x or 70x life-size.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2017, 04:09:04 am »
My life is rather topsy-turvy these days: moved from Riverdale to North Ogden, only about 15 miles but still everything gets shuffled. Anyway I finally got back on my bike:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1093804538

at my turn-around snack point, I encountered a half dozen lounging cyclists - taking a break in the middle of a big ride:

http://4kforcancer.org/2017-team-san-francisco/

Anyway I hope I can post some more spectacular ride reports before too long!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:57 am »
I hope so too, Jim. Moves are always unsettling even in the best of circumstances. I hope things settle down for you soon. There's some real heat in your general area; be sure to stay hydrated.

I hope to make it down that general direction as the playa dries out from last Spring's heavy rains. It is still pudding under a dry surface skim at Nevada's Black Rock Desert.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 04:49:37 am »
We've got a spare room here if you make it all the way to the Wasatch!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2017, 05:58:57 am »
Many, many thanks, Jim! I hope I can someday take you up on the nice offer!

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2017, 02:45:52 am »
Worked more across the contour lines today: https://www.strava.com/activities/1096774409

some photos from the high point... (hmmm I need to find a way to manage the display size!)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:11:27 am by JimK »