Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85256 times)

macspud

Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2017, 08:23:33 am »
Time for a visit to Scotland Andre, we've probably had good/fine days this year adding up to 75% which for the first five months is exeptional, forecast for scorchio all summer. I would not be supprised if here on the west coast Scottish Highlands (known for miraculous amounts of inclement weather of all sorts) we will end up with at least 70% fair/fine by years end, I think the percentage will be higher still, but any which way you look at it, 70%+ Fair/Fine weather in a year is some kind of miracle for this locale. Winding it's self up for full on scorchio, today. Just watching all the aerial acrobatics that all the birds around here are invovled in for the first five hours of the day, until the humans get going, it's just magical.
On that note, which site do you suggest for hosted pics, free of charge a must at the moment, at least until I sort my finances out a little. I'd like to be able to link to my pics for ease of sharing.
All the best,
Hope you're making the best of it.
Mac,
 ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:01:49 pm by macspud »

ridgeback63

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »
Here is a couple from my last 2 rides;the top one was at Crich monument and the lower one was at the National Memorial Arboretum.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:42:05 pm by ridgeback63 »

John Saxby

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2017, 06:33:23 pm »
Nearly the end of May, and I haven't managed many rides in the past six weeks. We've had a late spring, with a fair dose of Scottish weather, cool/cold, wet and windy, with precious few of the sunny scenes which Rual's camera so reliably generates. The Tobermorys, Renfrews, Dunvegans and New Edinburghs of the neighbourhood have been cowering beneath cold grey skies, lashed with rain. (Comment from forebears' ghosts: "Que pasa?  It wasn't s'posed to be like this! We left the Isles of the Blest to get away from this.)

Below are a few photos from rides in late April; the second post includes some from early May.  I'd hoped to have have a few from a ride up into the hills on Tuesday, which was sunny and warm, but the early arrival of hordes of black flies in the bush, in their usual numbers and unparalleled savagery, pre-empted trivial things like stopping for photos.

(On the black fly: Pavel and George, just to remind you of what you've been missing from your jaunts to Quetico and the Bruce, you may know Wade Hemsworth's tribute to the black fly, if "tribute" is the word I want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc )

In late April, the rivers were already very high, but the colours in the hills were pallid leftovers from late November, no green to be seen. For reasons I don't quite understand, the geese are already very fat. Maybe the one I photographed wintered over somehow, rather than flying north.

(To be cont'd.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:34:57 pm by John Saxby »

John Saxby

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »
Resuming the thread:  About two weeks later, I headed across the river and into the hills once more. (There had been a ride in between on the first Sunday in May, a charity ride for the local children's hospital, which I do each year. It serves as a marker of spring for cyclists. This year, the temp was 4 degrees, with a stiff north-westerly and 4 hours-plus of light rain. No photos of that, either.)

By the second week of May, the world had turned. All-of-a-sudden, the tulips in Marcia's garden were in bloom, and the birches and maples had opened their buds.

You can see the change in the photos below. Up in the woods in W Québec, the first trillium blooms of the year were splashed along the roadside verges. No red-maroon ones yet, but the big whites are soooo beautiful, and I even found a rare cluster of blooms. The woods are enchanting in mid-May -- the mozzies and black flies have yet to appear, the new leaves are a delicate fresh green, and the foliage is not so full as to block the light of the sun.

No more reports from the woods until mid-June. 'Til then, black flies rule. Back in the day, railway workers went about their work in black-fly season with a smudge pot; hard to carry a smudge pot on a bike, tho'. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:51 pm »
Yesterday as we returned from our ride my companion noted that my shirt had lots of midges on it. They're a curse this time of the year if you converse while riding. He didn't have any on him. I suspect he's a secret gin drinker...

Andre Jute

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2017, 10:12:05 pm »
Time for a visit to Scotland Andre, we've probably had good/fine days this year adding up to 75% which for the first five months is exeptional, forecast for scorchio all summer. I would not be supprised if here on the west coast Scottish Highlands (known for miraculous amounts of inclement weather of all sorts) we will end up with at least 70% fair/fine by years end...

Etc, etc. Actually, I was in Scotland the last time it was this fine, more than a quarter-century ago. Starting at the the Albert Hotel in Nairn after the bar closed, I went off in the middle of the night in the direction of Lossiemouth. Nobody knows where I ended up, not even me. Eventually one of the locals I was consulting to found me via the directions of the police, who insisted someone come vouch to them that this vagrant they thought they captured didn't steal my Savile Row pinstripes or the rented bike. Makes you wonder what the people I was working with thought of the common sense of the most expensive consultant they'd ever met (which they never let me forget for a minute...); it was probably fortunate for me that I'd served years with their new chairman on other boards. He said to me, "It's lucky for the pair of us that the Scots have a sense of humour."

I've answered your question about photo storage, about which I know little, in a separate thread, to which I hope those more knowledgeable  will contribute: Storing your photographs on the net for FREE http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12426.0=12426.0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:13:55 pm by Andre Jute »

ridgeback63

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2017, 05:37:35 pm »
Anybody doing the Great Notts bike ride on the 25th June? on their Thorn

energyman

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2017, 10:29:01 pm »
Anybody doing the Great Notts bike ride on the 25th June? on their Thorn

More details required please.

ridgeback63

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »
http://cyclelivenottingham.co.uk/ I was going to do the 75 mile one but sadly all the places have sold out so I'm going to do the 50 mile one plus ride there and back making a shade over 75 miles,should be fun mixing with the lycra crowd,I should imagine they will look at my fine steed with envy.

macspud

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2017, 06:04:27 pm »
Yesterday as we returned from our ride my companion noted that my shirt had lots of midges on it. They're a curse this time of the year if you converse while riding. He didn't have any on him. I suspect he's a secret gin drinker...

I could tell you exactly why, if you'd like to know?  ;-)

Pavel

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2017, 09:29:37 pm »
great photos lads  what a wonderful planet we live on

Yes, Indeed.

Andre Jute

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2017, 10:56:27 pm »

Go on then.

Pavel

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »
it's an odd thing, and I'm being very serious, but since I've had Chemo - mosquitos, midges (we call them no-see-ums) and every other annoying blood sucker out there will not touch me.  I can be in a cloud of them and not one bite. Seriously.  They must be health conscious and I'm the equivalent of a Lead-paint, asbestos, high sodium, high fat cocktail to those little beasts.

I'm not complaining mind you - but how smart they are - or how tainted I am, is a bit of a strange thing.  :D

macspud

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2017, 06:26:30 pm »

Go on then.

Andre Jute

« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:03 am »
Hah! Pavel already told us. It's the gin: the midges don't like juniper-juice.